The Student Room Group

MAT Prep Thread 2020

Scroll to see replies

What do you guys think the offers mean will be this time? Low 70s?
FWIW, I've not seen anyone post a solution to the "binary question" that I'd expect to lose marks if it was expressed reasonably clearly.
Original post by DFranklin
FWIW, I've not seen anyone post a solution to the "binary question" that I'd expect to lose marks if it was expressed reasonably clearly.

For the one proving 200 is not in S, I wrote the following:

As 4 | 200, the last function applied must be g, for if it is f instead, 200 would be odd, a contradiction.
Hence 200=g(50).
Note that 50 is not in S, as 50 is not divisible by 4 (which it would be if the last function applied is g) nor is it congruent to 1 or 3 (mod 4) (which it would be if the last function applied is f). Hence, 50 is not in S.
Hence, 200 is not in S, for if there exists some combination g^n1f^m1...(1)=200, then g^(n1-1)f^m1...(1)=50, a contradiction.

im not sure if this will lose marks :/
Original post by cflau_

As 4 | 200, the last function applied must be g, for if it is f instead, 200 would be odd, a contradiction.
Hence 200=g(50).
Note that 50 is not in S, as 50 is not divisible by 4 (which it would be if the last function applied is g) nor is it congruent to 1 or 3 (mod 4) (which it would be if the last function applied is f). Hence, 50 is not in S.
Hence, 200 is not in S, for if there exists some combination g^n1f^m1...(1)=200, then g^(n1-1)f^m1...(1)=50, a contradiction.

im not sure if this will lose marks :/

I wrote something similar to this - I talked about the possible factors of 200 and how 50 is not in S because 25 is in S and thus 200 can't be in S... something along these lines

Not sure if this is sufficient though
Original post by cflau_

Hence 200=g(50).

I wouldn't expect this to lose marks. If I'm being picky, I think your last line actually adds confusion rather than clarity (although that may be partly an artifcant of you transcribing it to plain text), but I think you explained everything fine without it (in particular you took care to explain the various cases mod 4), so I wouldn't worry.

Note to everyone: I don't want to write individual commentaries on *every* solution to this, so just assume it will be fine - as I say, I didn't see any that I thought deserved to lose marks.
For ppl doing maths and comp sci what marks do u lot think u got?? I probs got around mid 60s so no idea if I'll get the interview :frown:
Original post by cflau_
What do you guys think the offers mean will be this time? Low 70s?

That’s what I’d expect. Although, I’d like it if it’s closer to the normal of 66 for me to stand a chance at an interview
I wouldn't expect this to lose marks. If I'm being picky, I think your last line actually adds confusion rather than clarity (although that may be partly an artifcant of you transcribing it to plain text), but I think you explained everything fine without it (in particular you took care to explain the various cases mod 4), so I wouldn't worry.

Note to everyone: I don't want to write individual commentaries on *every* solution to this, so just assume it will be fine - as I say, I didn't see any that I thought deserved to lose marks.

Sorry to bother you again, but for the next part I am really unsure about the amount of marks deducted, as I used strong(?) induction.

For the one asking to prove for any n in S there must exist a unique permutation of f and g;

Let P(n) be the above claim. For n=1, no f nor g could be applied, hence unique. Hence P(1) is true.

For n=3, 3=f(1). Note that there cannot be any other combination, as applying g would make the number be at least 4, which is larger than 3. If another f is applied, the number would exceed 3. Hence P(3) is true.

Assume P(m) is true, i.e. for m in S there must exist a unique combination of f and g.

Suppose n = the least element in S larger than n = m. We split the following into two cases.

Case 1: m is divisible by 4.
Then m=g(n_1), for some n_1 in S that is less than or equal to n. By induction assumption, we have m=g(unique combination of f and g), so m has a unique combination.

Case 2: m congruent to 1 or 3 (mod 4).
Then m=f(n_2) for some n_2 less than or equal to n, so by induction assumption m=f(unique combination of f and g), so m is expressed uniquely.

Note that by previous parts we proved that m cannot be congruent to 2 (mod 4)

Hence P(m) is true.
Hence the claim is true.

I know my presentation is a bit "eh" for this one. Thanks for reading my (unnecessarily) long solution :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by M_m_m03
For ppl doing maths and comp sci what marks do u lot think u got?? I probs got around mid 60s so no idea if I'll get the interview :frown:

I think the mark distribution this time may be somewhat similar to that of 2019, maybe this time the marks are a bit higher for each mean.
The marking for Q6 is going to be interesting. I've had a quick go through it, and couldn't get their given answer, solely because (in 3 attempts), I made at least one silly mistake in doing the sums. (Then wrote a few lines of code to both verify their answer and print out all the correct partial results so I could see where I messed up).

In terms of work, I think actually calculating g(7,5) has to be more than the rest of the Q6 put together. But at the same time, it's only (quite a lot of) fiddly arithmetic that a bright and careful year 9 could do. (And conversely, I got it wrong, and I'd feel it was an unfair reflection on my ability to lose many marks on this).

Edit: unless I'm mistaken there's a closed form solution: wonder if anyone argued that g(n,k)=(n+k1k1)g(n, k) = \binom{n+k-1}{k-1}

yeah i stated the last thing in the middle of the solution, and just used it. to get g(7,5) would I penalized for that?
Original post by JBlythin03
same here... i think it was quite unreasonable for them to have asked about binaries. if they wanted that to be our method i think some more clarification as to how they work was needed as i’m sure most people will never have encountered them before

Yeah I’d never worked with binary before so I really struggled to make the connections between the powers of 2 and binary (even with the example given) :frown:
Comments in bold:

Original post by cflau_

Let P(n) be the above claim. For n=1, no f nor g could be applied, hence unique. Hence P(1) is true.

For n=3, 3=f(1). Note that there cannot be any other combination, as applying g would make the number be at least 4, which is larger than 3. If another f is applied, the number would exceed 3. Hence P(3) is true.

Assume P(m) is true, i.e. for m in S there must exist a unique combination of f and g. This isn't really right for strong induction. You either wanted to say P(m) is true for all m in S with m < N, or define P(n) to be the statement "for all m in S with m <= N, there's a unique representation in terms of f,g" (or similar).

Suppose n = the least element in S larger than n = m. We split the following into two cases.

Case 1: m is divisible by 4.
Then m=g(n_1), for some n_1 in S that is less than or equal to n. By induction assumption, we have m=g(unique combination of f and g), so m has a unique combination. I don't really like seeing "for some n_1" here - you have a specific n_1 in mind (or should do), so it would be better to state it. It's also important because you need n_1 to be unique.

Case 2: m congruent to 1 or 3 (mod 4).
Then m=f(n_2) for some n_2 less than or equal to n, so by induction assumption m=f(unique combination of f and g), so m is expressed uniquely. Similar comment to case 1.

Note that by previous parts we proved that m cannot be congruent to 2 (mod 4)

Hence P(m) is true.
Hence the claim is true.

I know my presentation is a bit "eh" for this one. Thanks for reading my (unnecessarily) long solution :smile:
Having made those comments, I don't think you'd lose much for them. This is the kind of problem where it's actually quite hard to rewrite as a "formal" proof, and I think it would be unfair to mark down when exactly the same ideas written less formally would get full marks.

[More generally, I'll make the comment that it seems clear you'll be well above the threshold where you'd expect to be invited to interview, so unless you really care whether you got 92 v.s. 93 marks (or whatever), it's silly to worry about any of this. ]
Original post by thegeniusarvind
yeah i stated the last thing in the middle of the solution, and just used it. to get g(7,5) would I penalized for that?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the last thing in the middle of the solution".
I've worked out I've got about 50 when I usually get 75, gutted :frown:
I'm not sure what you mean by "the last thing in the middle of the solution".

i meant i wrote the last part of the of the previous comment, g(n,k) = is essentially the number of non integral solutions = (n+k-1)C(k-1), in the middle of the solution while doing part the 3/4 of the questions
Anyone else get question 1 wrong :/
And, i have written the solution of most of the questions in the worded format, as in giving the logic of what i did, but not like the computer sci format. like using modulo etc. will it hurt my chances as CS applicant, eg. for the last part of q5 I just wrote a whole paragraph of why the no. of sweets will be same rather than showing any mathematical calculation
Original post by AG139222
Anyone else get question 1 wrong :/

only 1?, if you mean only for the MCQ then yeah, if you mean the whole paper , Not me,lol
Original post by thegeniusarvind
i meant i wrote the last part of the of the previous comment, g(n,k) = is essentially the number of non integral solutions = (n+k-1)C(k-1), in the middle of the solution while doing part the 3/4 of the questions

You might lose marks if you didn't justify the formula. Bit hard to say, but TBH I'd have been uncomfortable just putting down a formula without justification.
You might lose marks if you didn't justify the formula. Bit hard to say, but TBH I'd have been uncomfortable just putting down a formula without justification.

thats what i think too, but they shouldn't cut too many marks right? if the answer is correct

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending