The Student Room Group

Professional Certificate in Practical Statistics / Economics Masters

Hi.

I study Finance, it’s a course in Hertfordshire university.

The mathematical rigour is not there and there’s only two modules of mathematics - in total I believe it is worth 45 credits of maths content.

The first is algebra, calculus and stats and prob. The second is stats/econometrics topics.

I don’t believe this is enough to make me competitive enough for a MSc at an institution like Qmul or Birkbeck (where I would like to go for masters economics)

Therefore I am thinking that I should part time study (self fund) a professional certificate of statistics offered by the OU.

The content seems sounds and rigorous enough to top up the lack of prestige associated with my current course and also to make up in terms of rigour of the actual maths covered or exposed to me in the current course.

This will cost me 6000 roughly. Part time, it’ll mean I pay roughly half each year.

It will amount to 120 credits if stats modules.

It will all be done distance learning (except for the exams itself)

Is it worth trying to do this?

There is only one conflict of interest here. That is. I may end up with exams for each course, In one day.

This is fine if I only want a qualification. However it is not fine if I want the qualification in time for an application with the masters programmes In two years time.

This would be because I lose out the opportunity to provide a transcript for the course.

What I would like to ask.

Shall I try to do this course whilst doing the full time course at my university?

I really really really want to be able to do masters economics at qmul and then pursue phd economics there. They have very good phd programmes I am interested In.

Thank you
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Hi.

I study Finance, it’s a course in Hertfordshire university.

The mathematical rigour is not there and there’s only two modules of mathematics - in total I believe it is worth 45 credits of maths content.

The first is algebra, calculus and stats and prob. The second is stats/econometrics topics.

I don’t believe this is enough to make me competitive enough for a MSc at an institution like Qmul or Birkbeck (where I would like to go for masters economics)

Therefore I am thinking that I should part time study (self fund) a professional certificate of statistics offered by the OU.

The content seems sounds and rigorous enough to top up the lack of prestige associated with my current course and also to make up in terms of rigour of the actual maths covered or exposed to me in the current course.

This will cost me 6000 roughly. Part time, it’ll mean I pay roughly half each year.

It will amount to 120 credits if stats modules.

It will all be done distance learning (except for the exams itself)

Is it worth trying to do this?

There is only one conflict of interest here. That is. I may end up with exams for each course, In one day.

This is fine if I only want a qualification. However it is not fine if I want the qualification in time for an application with the masters programmes In two years time.

This would be because I lose out the opportunity to provide a transcript for the course.

What I would like to ask.

Shall I try to do this course whilst doing the full time course at my university?

I really really really want to be able to do masters economics at qmul and then pursue phd economics there. They have very good phd programmes I am interested In.

Thank you

The certificate in Statistics from OU, probably won't help you to get admitted to msc in Econ at QMUL. You may want to be looking at doing a Bsc in Economics from UOL instead. There is no chance they will accept you into their program unless you have done enough undergraduate course in Economics + mathematics. The reason being is, the program itself teaches advanced economics theories that are highly mathematical. hence, a solid understanding in micro, macro, and ecomometrics theories are required.
Original post by danielryre
The certificate in Statistics from OU, probably won't help you to get admitted to msc in Econ at QMUL. You may want to be looking at doing a Bsc in Economics from UOL instead. There is no chance they will accept you into their program unless you have done enough undergraduate course in Economics + mathematics. The reason being is, the program itself teaches advanced economics theories that are highly mathematical. hence, a solid understanding in micro, macro, and ecomometrics theories are required.

That’s not viable because I have studied before. Student finance won’t fund another degree if I switch now.

Surely the stats offered by ou in that course is enough to complement my application?

The econ in my course should be enough to be at least considered. After all. It is applied economics; I am doing macro and micro. At least 120 credits worth of.
That’s not viable because I have studied before. Student finance won’t fund another degree if I switch now.

Surely the stats offered by ou in that course is enough to complement my application?

The econ in my course should be enough to be at least considered. After all. It is applied economics; I am doing macro and micro. At least 120 credits worth of.

You can try to ask them directly about your situation, but I highly doubt they will offer you an unconditional offer, especially Hertfordshire is a not a top tier unit. You'd be better off if you take a certificate/diploma in Mathematics instead.
You can try to ask them directly about your situation, but I highly doubt they will offer you an unconditional offer, especially Hertfordshire is a not a top tier unit. You'd be better off if you take a certificate/diploma in Mathematics instead.

They don’t respond very likely because of that very reason.

But the people who vet the applications I don’t believe are the same people who advise who can apply.

I’m aware herts isn’t a rated uni. But I was told a student from herts on this course was doing a masters at LSE. So it’s not out of reach either.

The only Russel group to have responded, and responded favourably was Liverpool. But I’ve been told, they aren’t the rigorous type for Econ masters. So I’m aiming for a London university, A) it makes commute possible B) better access to information/data as a researcher.

The maths graduate diploma is possible, but I wouldn’t be able to Conplete it by th time I apply. And the above issue of exams clashing is still an issue.

The stats programme seems much more applicable because it is after all economics/econometrics I am trying to get into.
Another alternative and affordable approach you can take is by taking GRE in Mathematics subject test exam. Scoring high in the exam will demonstrate your mathematics skills and increase your chance of being accepted. The topics covered include Calculus through multivariate, Linear Alebgra, some abstract and discrete Math, Probability and basic real analysis which are very relevant to economics in general.You can learn more here:https://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/mathematics/
They don’t respond very likely because of that very reason.

But the people who vet the applications I don’t believe are the same people who advise who can apply.

I’m aware herts isn’t a rated uni. But I was told a student from herts on this course was doing a masters at LSE. So it’s not out of reach either.

The only Russel group to have responded, and responded favourably was Liverpool. But I’ve been told, they aren’t the rigorous type for Econ masters. So I’m aiming for a London university, A) it makes commute possible B) better access to information/data as a researcher.

The maths graduate diploma is possible, but I wouldn’t be able to Conplete it by th time I apply. And the above issue of exams clashing is still an issue.

The stats programme seems much more applicable because it is after all economics/econometrics I am trying to get into.

Again forget about doing an expensive certificate from OU, and do the GRE instead.
Again forget about doing an expensive certificate from OU, and do the GRE instead.

Makes more sense to be honest. And definitely works out cheaper. But does involved effectively learning a maths degree on your own.

I saw Birkbeck consider or ask for GRE to be taken. So I guess that means Qmul will also look at jt favourably if you perform on it.

I’ll have to take this approach instead it seems.
Makes more sense to be honest. And definitely works out cheaper. But does involved effectively learning a maths degree on your own.

I saw Birkbeck consider or ask for GRE to be taken. So I guess that means Qmul will also look at jt favourably if you perform on it.

I’ll have to take this approach instead it seems.

Certainly. They want to be looking at applicants who have strong aptitude in math, as postgraduate in econ especially at a phd level is heavily quant. You probably need to learn real analysis too which involves proofs, but some areas in econ can also be less quant such as economics history.
I have to come back to this guys. I feel it’s a good idea still. Anybody else with any opinions? Please do try to help if in any way you can with suggestions or ideas. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending