The Student Room Group

Feeling Depressed since MSc Rejection

I narrowly missed my entry requirements (1%) for my MSc and now have to face the choice of leaving my home city or skipping my master's. I may need it for my career but I don't know what to do. I have offers at other unis in other cities but the thought of leaving all my friends for a year is depressing me.

I need an MSc for my desired career (Data Science).

I've been thinking of going to the unis in the other cities and trying to visit home as much as possible, along with the fact that the teaching term is only 9-10 weeks and I can stay at home for the Christmas & Jan exam period.

I can also move back in the second week of the second sem since the first week is usually useless as well as move back a week earlier at the end of 1st&2nd sem.

I also don't really need to be at uni over the summer since there is no teaching for the dissertation period.

Alternatively, I can do an apprenticeship level 7 scheme with a degree where I can work 4 days a week in my home city and then study for 1 day. This would be over 21 months and the unis aren't the best. Another alternative is to switch to the integrated masters of my degree.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I narrowly missed my entry requirements (1%) for my MSc and now have to face the choice of leaving my home city or skipping my master's. I may need it for my career but I don't know what to do. I have offers at other unis in other cities but the thought of leaving all my friends for a year is depressing me.

I've been thinking of going to the unis in the other cities and trying to visit home as much as possible, along with the fact that the teaching term is only 9-10 weeks and I can stay at home for the Christmas & Jan exam period.

I can also move back in the second week of the second sem since the first week is usually useless as well as move back a week earlier at the end of 1st&2nd sem.

I also don't really need to be at uni over the summer since there is no teaching for the dissertation period.

Alternatively, I can do an apprenticeship level 7 scheme with a degree where I can work 4 days a week in my home city and then study for 1 day. This would be over 21 months and the unis aren't the best. Another alternative is to switch to the integrated masters of my degree.

See my previous reply. You don't need a master's to go into data science.
Reply 2
If leaving your friends for 1yr is causing this amount of stress, you really aren't ready for any sort of career. Just get a job in your hometown and be happy there.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

You don't need a masters degree to go into data science. In fact many data scientists are accountants, so look at CIMA or ACCA. Data science is essentially a stats degree, so look at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses/2023/statistics-graduate-certificate.

What career area are looking for as there are most likely recommended professional qualifications, which will trump any masters degree.

Quick Reply

Latest