The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Change unis?

Hey, so I’m about to start uni in England in a couple of weeks. To be completely honest, I am excited. It’s a fun city (Newcastle) and it’s known to be a decent course. However, when I applied to uni via UCAS last year I didn’t really apply to any English unis apart from Newcastle (as im from Scotland). I have good grades and I’ve really been wanting to maybe go and try get into Durham or Exeter. I just don’t know if it’s the right move for me though. I’m intending to still go to Newcastle as there is still a chance I wouldn’t be accepted to the other unis and I still really like Newcastle. In addition, the other unis are much higher in rankings for my subject (Ik rankings don’t mean that much as they change so often but idk part of me feels as though I’m a failure for not going for higher ranked ones). Idk what to do tbh because if I still go to Newcastle and luckily am accepted to Durham or Exeter etc. I’ll still have to pay the fees for this year AND my maintenance loan which is basically an extra year of money owed to the government and Im just worried it’s going to be worth it. Anyways, Ik this is just rambling but I really need some advice on this. Should I apply to other unis anyway? Or is it better to just stay where I am?

Many thanks
Stay where you are. Newcastle is an amazing city and the experience you’ll have there will probably be much better than the other two. Still a very good uni so stay and enjoy your time
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by iceicebaby0917
Hey, so I’m about to start uni in England in a couple of weeks. To be completely honest, I am excited. It’s a fun city (Newcastle) and it’s known to be a decent course. However, when I applied to uni via UCAS last year I didn’t really apply to any English unis apart from Newcastle (as im from Scotland). I have good grades and I’ve really been wanting to maybe go and try get into Durham or Exeter. I just don’t know if it’s the right move for me though. I’m intending to still go to Newcastle as there is still a chance I wouldn’t be accepted to the other unis and I still really like Newcastle. In addition, the other unis are much higher in rankings for my subject (Ik rankings don’t mean that much as they change so often but idk part of me feels as though I’m a failure for not going for higher ranked ones). Idk what to do tbh because if I still go to Newcastle and luckily am accepted to Durham or Exeter etc. I’ll still have to pay the fees for this year AND my maintenance loan which is basically an extra year of money owed to the government and Im just worried it’s going to be worth it. Anyways, Ik this is just rambling but I really need some advice on this. Should I apply to other unis anyway? Or is it better to just stay where I am?

Many thanks

Hey, I go to Newcastle and I think the student life here is amazing. It's a student city so there are so many other students you can meet which I think is great. There's also the city life and the nightlife to enjoy. Newcastle is a very good uni and has a very good reputation - it's a great school for medicine and biosciences. I think you should stay in Newcastle because if you're definitely accepted into Newcastle then you would be definitely going to uni. Like you said, there is a chance that you wouldn't be accepted to other unis. Although I'm not too sure how that works in your case as a lot of students are already back at uni and will start in the next couple of weeks.

I think you should stay here for at least a year and see if you like it. If you really don't, then you could consider transferring. I have a friend who transferred from Edinburgh to Newcastle at the beginning of second year because she didn't like the course at Edinburgh. Good luck and hope all goes well for you though! If you have any questions about NCL I am more than happy to try and help :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Eme223
Hey, I go to Newcastle and I think the student life here is amazing. It's a student city so there are so many other students you can meet which I think is great. There's also the city life and the nightlife to enjoy. Newcastle is a very good uni and has a very good reputation - it's a great school for medicine and biosciences. I think you should stay in Newcastle because if you're definitely accepted into Newcastle then you would be definitely going to uni. Like you said, there is a chance that you wouldn't be accepted to other unis. Although I'm not too sure how that works in your case as a lot of students are already back at uni and will start in the next couple of weeks.

I think you should stay here for at least a year and see if you like it. If you really don't, then you could consider transferring. I have a friend who transferred from Edinburgh to Newcastle at the beginning of second year because she didn't like the course at Edinburgh. Good luck and hope all goes well for you though! If you have any questions about NCL I am more than happy to try and help :smile:

Hey!!! Tyssssm for your reply it’s really reassured me! I was just overthinking it and I’m super excited for Ncl anyway!! Thank you for your help it was super sweet xox
Reply 4
Original post by iceicebaby0917
Hey!!! Tyssssm for your reply it’s really reassured me! I was just overthinking it and I’m super excited for Ncl anyway!! Thank you for your help it was super sweet xox

Aw I'm so glad I helped!!! xx Enjoy your time at Newcastle :biggrin: (but i'm not gonna be there till sem 2 lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending