The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I rather like number 2 (Examine the ways empirical evidence should be used to make progress in different areas of knowledge) for the way you can take it into any area of knowledge you like. I shall be looking at Maths primarily and probably Ethics and Art for comparison (Title 1 also uses this triple).

Bringing in ways of knowing is a bit of a problem, however; but perhaps Reason could be looked at in terms of induction; Emotion could be looked at for contrast and its rejection of empirical evidence.

Anyone else who has any ideas on this title, your comments would be most helpful :yes:
7. “We see and understand things not as they are but as we are.” Discuss this claim in relation to at least
two ways of knowing.

I quite like this one. I have a list of things my friend and I feel could be possibly why this occurs (eg different cultures and authority figures), but I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for which AoKs and WoKs would suit this title best? It's a matter of choosing the right ones from the list we made.

I remember that someone else is thinking of doing this too, so I'll try to help as well: I think first of all it's important to clearly define and distinguish "see" and "understand" before going on to the AoKs and stuff.

A general question though: Do I need to have an overall knowledge issue and many different examples somewhat related to it, or should I have multiple knowledge issue?
Hi everyone I`m doing number 4...just got a stupid questions which were the "ways of knowing" of TOK?
Thanks...
Reply 23
Lichtkrieger
Hi everyone I`m doing number 4...just got a stupid questions which were the "ways of knowing" of TOK?
Thanks...

WHAT!!!!! After ToK that should be tatoo'ed to your memory if you haven't tatoo'ed it to your arm. :woo: :eek: :woo:

SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER!!!!!! :woo: :woo: </sarcasm>

Anyways, to answer your question, the "ways of knowing" or WoK are Sense Perception, Reason, Language and Emotion.

Areas of Knowledge or AoK are The Arts, Mathematics, Human Sciences, Natural Sciences, History and Ethics- ***Note how this fits in with the 6 course areas for IB!!!!!! :woo:
I see...thank you because i got a bit confused ...ways of knowing and areas of knowledge...thanks anyway!
I`ll start writing then ;D
im doing question 4 too :biggrin:
still trying to think what should i write about :P
Reply 26
I chose the following as my TOK essay title:
"We see and understand things not as they are but as we are" Discuss this claim in relation to at least two ways of knowing.

Are paradigms relevant in this essay? Should I mainly discuss paradigms? Does talking about how our culture/society can hinder us from gaining knowledge, the right idea?

Thank you!
Reply 27
The question asks you to discuss >2 ways of knowing, so ya paradigms can be part of the essay (falls down to reason) but not the main part of the discussion. Yes you should talk abt culture, religion...You're on the right track
Anyone doing number 10?
kay got a stupid question here.
well im currently thinking about my essay and im doing question 4 btw.
so we have to use WOK and AOK's right?
but while we write our essays we write some AOK reasoning under our WOKs?

well for example.
A WOK - REASON
then you start writing your personal experience but the thing is do i write it and relate it to my AOK?
or its
REASON - WOK
then personal experience
then argument through my AOK
then counter argument
then make a conclusion out of it?

i hope you guys understand :s-smilie:

cuz im kinda confused right now ):
Reply 30
rainajaynee
I'm doing Question 1.
Found lots of information on it so should be good.:woo:

I just finished my essay on this:smile: I loves it :smile:
Reply 31
[QUOTE='[m a a r i.]']kay got a stupid question here.
well im currently thinking about my essay and im doing question 4 btw.
so we have to use WOK and AOK's right?
but while we write our essays we write some AOK reasoning under our WOKs?

well for example.
A WOK - REASON
then you start writing your personal experience but the thing is do i write it and relate it to my AOK?
or its
REASON - WOK
then personal experience
then argument through my AOK
then counter argument
then make a conclusion out of it?

i hope you guys understand :s-smilie:

cuz im kinda confused right now ):
You need to use WOKs AND AOKs in every TOK essay!!!
for ur reason example, the second one is better but you needa add an universal example to back up ur personal example.
Reply 32
-MD-
Hey guys,

I'd started an essay on the first of the new prescribed titles just in case the TOK remark hadn't resulted in a higher grade, which it has :smile:

So I don't need it anymore and I've attached my latest draft, if anyone wants to have a look at it. It's too long and probably far from perfect, still, but it might be worth a read anyway if you're doing yours on the same topic :wink:

-MD- : I think Question 1 suits me best. Thanks for the attachment. It's very much of a help for my essay. I'm just about to start mine. :smile:
Hey I need helppp :frown:

Im doing question 4 about distinguishing between what is true and what is believed to be true. But I need help on ideas. I'm going to talk about emotion with ethics, sense perception with history and art, and reason with natural science.
satisfactionatlast
Is anyone doing that question? No one from my school is doing it and I'm the only one. So I was wondering how many people are doing it.
I'm surprised though as the question is not that difficult.
"What are the Similarities and Differences between Historical and Scientific Explanations"?

I'm doing it. PM me and we can discuss it.
mmmmm number 1 is tasty, I might do some of these as distraction.
Reply 36
jc_bach
You need to use WOKs AND AOKs in every TOK essay!!!
for ur reason example, the second one is better but you needa add an universal example to back up ur personal example.

Really, even if the question deals with AOKs specifically?
amazingelli
I'm doing it. PM me and we can discuss it.

sure let's do it (:
Reply 38
nk9230
Really, even if the question deals with AOKs specifically?

of course and you MUST. When you talk abt AOKs it links to what WOKs you are referring and this would lead to linking questions. This is what TOK is about!!
Reply 39
jc_bach
of course and you MUST. When you talk abt AOKs it links to what WOKs you are referring and this would lead to linking questions. This is what TOK is about!!

Oh oh! I just looked at my essay and I had done that! I was getting concerned, because I haven't looked at my essay since I finished it months ago.

Latest

Trending

Trending