The Student Room Group

How did you learn blood taking and physical exams in medical school?

I'm planning to apply for medical school next year, and it would be a long way away anyway.

One of the random questions I was wondering about is how do you learn things blood taking, cannulation and physical exams in the school?

And what are your experiences (for people already in medical school) and would you recommend the clinical teaching there?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AkkeBrian
I'm planning to apply for medical school next year, and it would be a long way away anyway.

One of the random questions I was wondering about is how do you learn things blood taking, cannulation and physical exams in the school?

And what are your experiences (for people already in medical school) and would you recommend the clinical teaching there?

:cookie:
For me it was:

For bloods - do it messing around on rubber arms (it gets the basics but quite unrealistic really), do one on each other (voluntary), do one supervised, then you're done, expected to seek opportunities to practice on the wards.

Examinations - first thing in 4th year the final years taught us exam by exam by practising on them and each other then willing patients that the final years would find. Then go for it on the wards, but seeking feedback for the rest of med school (and beyond) as it's a very complex skill.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
For me it was:

For bloods - do it messing around on rubber arms (it gets the basics but quite unrealistic really), do one on each other (voluntary), do one supervised, then you're done, expected to seek opportunities to practice on the wards.

Examinations - first thing in 4th year the final years taught us exam by exam by practising on them and each other then willing patients that the final years would find. Then go for it on the wards, but seeking feedback for the rest of med school (and beyond) as it's a very complex skill.

Thanks for the replies. I guess this is 4th/clinical year in most medical schools?
Original post by AkkeBrian
Thanks for the replies. I guess this is 4th/clinical year in most medical schools?

It was for me 4th out of 6 yes. In many others it will be much earlier - certainly you could be learning examinations in 1st year, probably blood taking too I'd imagine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending