The Student Room Group

Money to live at university

Hi everyone, how does everyone manage to afford to live at university I come from a middle-class family so of course we never had to struggle, however at university my loan is £6300 and my accommodation is around £4400, is this easily doable? or should I seek a job too?

Thanks!
Original post by Pagey81
Hi everyone, how does everyone manage to afford to live at university I come from a middle-class family so of course we never had to struggle, however at university my loan is £6300 and my accommodation is around £4400, is this easily doable? or should I seek a job too?

Thanks!

Your parents are expected to make up the difference based on their income.
Yes imo you should seek a job either before or during uni if they refuse to contribute.
Reply 2
Original post by Pagey81

Thanks!

The maximum maintenance loan (for living away from home outside of London) is £9,203 this academic year. Since it is means tested, the assumption is that your parents/guardians will fund the difference between this maximum and what you actually get. If they are not able/willing to do so then a job might be the best bet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending