The Student Room Group

Band 5 A level English Literature help

Hey, I study Eng Lit AQA and I am currently doing Crime for Atonement, The murder of Rodger Ackroyd and for Tragedy I am doing Othello and Death of a Salesman. Can someone please tell me how to give band 5 responses such as phrases I could use or certain things I should add in? My teachers aren't helpful ): I try my best but I'm still working at a B, please help
Reply 1
Original post by Fluffysweetfries
Hey, I study Eng Lit AQA and I am currently doing Crime for Atonement, The murder of Rodger Ackroyd and for Tragedy I am doing Othello and Death of a Salesman. Can someone please tell me how to give band 5 responses such as phrases I could use or certain things I should add in? My teachers aren't helpful ): I try my best but I'm still working at a B, please help

Well, as general advice, I'd say incorporate quotations (like, embed them naturally without introducing them like "in this quotation..." Do it more naturally. Also, try to single out devices/themes/characterisation/setting when studying, so you're prepared to answer any question pertaining to them. You are studying quite a bulk of content, so I'd say study them one at a time, and read them like a novel or story, before the exams, just so that you can remember any quotations which you might want to add, or any other aspects of the stories which you might want to mention. Lastly, I'd suggest doing some practise questions. :smile: Hope this helps! Maybe additionally, also focus on structure, as well as content: quality and quantity, y'know?
Original post by Ira :)
Well, as general advice, I'd say incorporate quotations (like, embed them naturally without introducing them like "in this quotation..." Do it more naturally. Also, try to single out devices/themes/characterisation/setting when studying, so you're prepared to answer any question pertaining to them. You are studying quite a bulk of content, so I'd say study them one at a time, and read them like a novel or story, before the exams, just so that you can remember any quotations which you might want to add, or any other aspects of the stories which you might want to mention. Lastly, I'd suggest doing some practise questions. :smile: Hope this helps! Maybe additionally, also focus on structure, as well as content: quality and quantity, y'know?

haha thanks great advice, thank you !
Non specific advice for revision sessions
One or two topics only at a time that way you can be empowered
Use empty flashcards to memorise important key quotes. Put them into your own words as far as possible
Make up a small packet of questions or create a short skill booklet for revision sessions to use.
Focus on general skill development here. As a example you could use the booklet to hone your writing skills or your analytical skills. Cover each skill as you revise each topic. Do a little and often each day or week. Develop your exam technique too using past papers, revision guides etc.
Original post by tinygirl96
Non specific advice for revision sessions
One or two topics only at a time that way you can be empowered
Use empty flashcards to memorise important key quotes. Put them into your own words as far as possible
Make up a small packet of questions or create a short skill booklet for revision sessions to use.
Focus on general skill development here. As a example you could use the booklet to hone your writing skills or your analytical skills. Cover each skill as you revise each topic. Do a little and often each day or week. Develop your exam technique too using past papers, revision guides etc.

much appreciated for ur advice ! ((:
no problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending