The Student Room Group

Please help i legit hate stats

Can someone please help me with this question like I've gotten it wrong like 3 times whats the answer I just need help

A number is picked at random from the first 100 positive whole numbers (starting at 1). What is the probability that the number is divisible by 5, given that it is even?

Give your answer as an exact decimal or as a fraction in its lowest terms in the form p/q

thank u so so much if u answer this u r legit amazing.
Can you post your attempts so far?
Answer (I think) = 10/100
well from 1-100 there are 50 even numbers. and there are 20 multiples of 5 (only 10 being even). Using this, see what the question is asking and try to work it out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bukojuice4sale
Answer (I think) = 10/100

Original post by Chowderzzz
well from 1-100 there are 50 even numbers. and there are 20 multiples of 5 (only 10 being even). so the answer would be 10/50 = 1/5 = 0.2 . I'd assume it's just that?

Read the forum rules please :smile:
Don't give full answers.
Reply 5
Original post by Theloniouss
Can you post your attempts so far?

i some how got the answer on a fluke it was 1/5 if you wanted to know but I have another problem now so if u could can you help me
this is the question...

Two cards are picked at random, without replacement, from a pack of 52 playing cards. What is the probability that the second card is black, given that the first is red?

Give your answer as an exact decimal or as a fraction in its lowest terms in the form p/q.

this one I'm struggling with because I'm bad at deck of cards question.
thank you
Original post by luv_pluto
Can someone please help me with this question like I've gotten it wrong like 3 times whats the answer I just need help

A number is picked at random from the first 100 positive whole numbers (starting at 1). What is the probability that the number is divisible by 5, given that it is even?

Give your answer as an exact decimal or as a fraction in its lowest terms in the form p/q

thank u so so much if u answer this u r legit amazing.

Maybe 0.05?
If u were to draw a tree diagram there are 50/100 probability that it’s an even number then 10/100 probability that that it’s divisible by 5 so multiplied together would give u 0.05?
Don't give full answers.

my apologies. I'll edit it to get rid of the answer.
Woops
(edited 3 years ago)
i some how got the answer on a fluke it was 1/5 if you wanted to know but I have another problem now so if u could can you help me
this is the question...

Two cards are picked at random, without replacement, from a pack of 52 playing cards. What is the probability that the second card is black, given that the first is red?

Give your answer as an exact decimal or as a fraction in its lowest terms in the form p/q.

this one I'm struggling with because I'm bad at deck of cards question.
thank you

What have you tried so far?
Reply 10
What have you tried so far?

well all i know is how many cards there are, but I know I have to use the conditional probability rule I just don't know how, that's were Im stuck
Reply 11
Don't give full answers.

yeah i know that it's bad to just give out the answers but I really am stuck and I have to submit this is very soon so I just wanted some help
well all i know is how many cards there are, but I know I have to use the conditional probability rule I just don't know how, that's were Im stuck

In this scenario, drawing a tree diagram would make the question a lot clearer. so I'd recommend doing that for your first step :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest