The Student Room Group
Stop being referred to as a youth.
Not being told im thick for getting good GCSEs.
Not being lectured at every day about knife crime and gangs.
For my rights not to be taken away, so much talk of driving age, drinking age, school leaving age all going up.
And the thought of national service is an absolute joke...
We could stop being called "young people", stop receiving ridiculous adverts from companies like "WNT 2 PRTCT UR MOB FRM THFT???" (no I don't, and ****** speak properly or I won't buy anything off you), be allowed to buy things like short-term car insurance and so on which we're currently not, generally stop being spoken to like we're idiots and miscreants...
Reply 3
generalebriety
We could stop being called "young people", stop receiving ridiculous adverts from companies like "WNT 2 PRTCT UR MOB FRM THFT???" (no I don't, and ****** speak properly or I won't buy anything off you), be allowed to buy things like short-term car insurance and so on which we're currently not, generally stop being spoken to like we're idiots and miscreants...

Perhaps most of us are already the idiots you have described, to be honest.

And it would make us feel much better if there's less rant on Alevels being easier than China's kindergarten weekly tests. have we really wasted 2 years?
I don't think young people aren't valued in society to any significant extent. I usually see this as a commonly accepted argument used by chavs to justify their "world is against me" attitude and subsequently their vandelising of the society that supposedly hates them. But that's just my baseless opinion.
Bead
Perhaps most of us are already the idiots you have described, to be honest.

Idiot kids grow to be idiot adults. We don't need special treatment, just the same treatment that adults get (which isn't actually very much better).
Reply 6
By showing respect for the individual.

This action alone raises self-esteem and self-worth, thus feeling more valued because we are more valued.
Reply 7
As a society, we need to shift the aura of pessimism surrounding everything young people do. The media just seems to spread an unremitting stream of negativity. In the minds of most adults, children are all potential murderers, off their heads on a heady cocktail of drugs and inane TV shows. Even demonstrable achievements like increasing GCSE passes are dismissed, cynically construed as evidence that exams are getting easier. The media has a lot to answer for.
Reply 8
It's simple:

1) Sterilise low-class dole scroungers

2)Ban Bassline/niche clubs

3) Ban anyone with a household income lower than £30k from shopping at jjb or from drinking stella

4)Also we should cut off the hands of anyone found guilty off knife crime - shariah law style!!

If we did this, the chav culture which is repsonsible for negative youth stereotypes that are portayed by the media will naturally die out.

Problem solved. Then "youths" can have the respect they deserve, like they did a few decades back :biggrin:
Reply 9
Tiger Style
It's simple:
No man, no problem?

Tiger Style
If we did this, the chav culture which is repsonsible for negative youth stereotypes that are portayed by the media will naturally die out
It won't 'naturally' die out because you've influenced via Govt action a cultural trend.
Reply 10
As we are mostly slaves to capitalism, it is unavoidable. BUT:

- discouraging over-reliance on technology
- demolish all out of town shopping centres
- improve the health of town centres
- try to discourage over-tescoisation
- ban alcohol completely
Reply 11
Don.k
just wanted to know other peoples views.

By expecting more of young people; by giving them greater responsibility. In my experience people respond to responsibility (that's why good delegators are so sucessful in business and management) and this is just as true for young people as anybody else. If society places responsibility on the shoulders of the young they will rise to the occassion and earn respect and a sense of being valued.

In short, expect nothing and you'll get nothing so instead, create opportunities through which respect can be earned.
Reply 12
By removing the negative descrimination against us. People see "youths" walking along the road in a hoodie, and automatically think you are a bad person. Ihave to say its the government and medias fault for labeling young crims as hoodies. now everyones in a dim light.
Reply 13
Older people should flirt with them and buy them booze.
Reply 14
people be made to feel

Who's supposed to benefit from this artificial self-esteem boost?
The only way to make young people feel more valued in society is to actually start genuinely valuing young people.
Reply 16
I think most people have a certain idea of a young person as a potential murderer/drunken lout etc etc because of the message sent out by the media. However if the initial impression given off by the "guy in the hoodie" is that of a rude, insolent and inconsiderate person then how can we be expected to value them? Similarly if that "guy in the hoodie" is acting like a complete jackass then how can they expect to feel valued in society with that kind of behaviour?

It requires a change from both sides: it requires a less negative portrayal of youth from the media, and therefore less biased first impression, and requires young people to be mature and responsible. If this happens I believe there will be a generally greater sense of wellbeing in society and that young people will feel more valued.
Reply 17
I don't see why we should value them, plenty of them are louts and ne'erdowells. Police, teachers and the like are incredibly polite to these bastards in my experience, yet it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

The ones who are actually responsible and behave themselves usually are valued and treated respectably.
Reply 18
Reborn
I think most people have a certain idea of a young person as a potential murderer/drunken lout etc etc because of the message sent out by the media.
No. The message sent out by a large part of the media is that the un-named rest of it unfairly portray young people as violent drunkards and older people subsequently have appallingly wrong-headed ideas about the young.

There are no older people who see young people first as potential murderers (they are potential murderers, of course), but there are plenty of people young and old who see young people primarily as the injured parties of this non-existent prejudice.
Q: How could young people be made to feel more valued in society?
A: Get them a job and beat the chav out of them.

Latest

Trending

Trending