The Student Room Group

Lonely at uni

I’m at uni and it’s nearly the end of the 1st year. I’ve made no friends. I try and talk to people but there are already in friendship groups and don’t reciprocate anything. I feel like I’m just embarassing myself. I no longer want to leave my room and all I do is sleep because I’ve given up. The societies at my uni suck and are super clique orientated. I don’t know what to do. I was always told that you will meet friends for life at uni. My uni experience has made me realise I’ve never had friends, I’ve always been lonely. I’m bored of my own company. I don’t want to talk to myself anymore
What you have been told is not wrong it does for most people but you have just been one of the unlucky ones. I see what you are saying.
Reply 2
She if you can find a decent young persons counsellor, the right person can really help. The SU may well have a service. Your GP could be worth a try too as you’re feeling down
Original post by Anonymous
I’m at uni and it’s nearly the end of the 1st year. I’ve made no friends. I try and talk to people but there are already in friendship groups and don’t reciprocate anything. I feel like I’m just embarassing myself. I no longer want to leave my room and all I do is sleep because I’ve given up. The societies at my uni suck and are super clique orientated. I don’t know what to do. I was always told that you will meet friends for life at uni. My uni experience has made me realise I’ve never had friends, I’ve always been lonely. I’m bored of my own company. I don’t want to talk to myself anymore

I'm sorry to hear that making friends has been tough for you. It's not always easy, especially during your first year at university. :frown:
Just remember that you're not alone in feeling this way!!
Here are some suggestions that might help:

Making friends takes time, so try not to stress too much about it. Keep putting yourself out there and be open to opportunities. If societies aren't your thing, look for activities that align with your interests. You might find like-minded people in sports clubs, or volunteer groups. Attend social events happening on and off campus. These events provide opportunities to meet new people in a more relaxed setting. Consider attending parties, game nights, or other gatherings that interest you.

Try chatting with your classmates. You can start by asking questions related to coursework or forming study groups. By engaging with others academically, you may find common ground and eventually develop friendships. Many universities have support services available for students struggling with loneliness or mental health issues. Reach out to your university's counseling center or student support services for guidance and assistance. Consider joining online communities or forums related to your interests or hobbies. This can be a way to connect with people who share similar passions, even if they're not physically close to you. Remember to prioritize your mental well-being and seek help if you're feeling down.

Don’t forget to take care of your mental well-being and don't hesitate to seek help from a mental health professional or counselor if you're feeling down. Making friends takes time, effort, and persistence, but with patience and a positive mindset, you'll find people who appreciate you for who you are.

I believe in you! Don't give up :smile:

- Ilya :colondollar:
Reply 4

Hello, you are a great person and you will find your own group.

Have you considered joining clubs or societies that you are interested in? What about your house or flatmates?

Also, do you have a gf/bf? If you are a lad, you should approach a girl and try to connect with her.

if you need anything, let us know. Remember that you are not alone and we are here for you.
The easiest thing to do is to try and hang out with your fellow course units students - do you have a building (like the computer science building) with a common study area - start studying there, you'll likely start to talk and make friends soon enough.

(edited 11 months ago)

Hi there,

I am really sorry that uni hasn't lived up to your expectations. For me personally, I found my group of friends in second year, and I am so grateful for them. Making friends at uni can be hard, it is a new environment, new people, new independence, everything changes all at once and alot of people find their first year super tricky.
My best advice would be to give societies another go, or even set one up yourself, there will definitely be others interested in similar things to you! You could also try chatting to your classmates on your course.
There is often wellbeing services at uni, it may be worth a visit to them, they will be able to help you with how you are feeling and help to navigate through it.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Reply 7

Which town are you in? There might be meet-ups that you can join. In my case, I'm planning to join some meet-ups, not sure what to expect as everyone will be strangers but that's ok, worth a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending