The Student Room Group

Is a Modern Languages degree a ‘Mickey Mouse degree’?

...bored so decided to post. I’m 100% gonna do a MFL degree as I wanna do some interpretation work before I settle down as a teacher. However, I’m a bit worried that MFL is classed as the ‘Mickey Mouse degree’...soz for flogging a dead donkey thread
Original post by hootdoot04
...bored so decided to post. I’m 100% gonna do a MFL degree as I wanna do some interpretation work before I settle down as a teacher. However, I’m a bit worried that MFL is classed as the ‘Mickey Mouse degree’...soz for flogging a dead donkey thread

"settle down as a teacher" ???

You may not understand the modern teaching career - perhaps you should consider another path?
Reply 2
Original post by Grizwuld
"settle down as a teacher" ???

You may not understand the modern teaching career - perhaps you should consider another path?

No..? MFL teachers are in demand
no
Original post by hootdoot04
No..? MFL teachers are in demand

I think they were suggesting that ‘settle down’ implies you don’t realise how stressful teaching is, not that you wouldn’t get a job. One in three teachers leave the profession within five years, so presumably a lot of aspiring teachers end up finding out that it’s not how they want to ‘settle down’.

But anyway, I’ve never heard anyone describing modern languages as a Mickey Mouse degree. And even if some people did think that, that needn’t affect your decision.
Reply 5
Original post by Desideri
I think they were suggesting that ‘settle down’ implies you don’t realise how stressful teaching is, not that you wouldn’t get a job. One in three teachers leave the profession within five years, so presumably a lot of aspiring teachers end up finding out that it’s not how they want to ‘settle down’.

But anyway, I’ve never heard anyone describing modern languages as a Mickey Mouse degree. And even if some people did think that, that needn’t affect your decision.

Ik how stressful it is . It is my life goal to be a teacher and inspire people etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending