The Student Room Group

Barclays Overdraft

I’m in my second of uni, I’m EU student and I’m trying to open a Student Additions account with Barclays. I was wondering if they run any kind of credit score check when you apply for the overdraft because I’ve only been living here for a year and I’m pretty sure they won’t find much. Could I be denied the overdraft if so? Or is it more like something that comes directly with the account? TIA
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in my second of uni, I’m EU student and I’m trying to open a Student Additions account with Barclays. I was wondering if they run any kind of credit score check when you apply for the overdraft because I’ve only been living here for a year and I’m pretty sure they won’t find much. Could I be denied the overdraft if so? Or is it more like something that comes directly with the account? TIA

If you create a student account with some banks you get a good amount of overdraft which increases each year.

I don’t remember them doing any credit checks on Me. However, there wouldn’t have been anything to check really.

Tasha :-)
Reply 2

A bank will almost certainly run a credit check before granting an overdraft facility. It's up to the bank to decide whether to grant an overdraft and what limit they set.
Reply 3
Original post by The University of Law Students
If you create a student account with some banks you get a good amount of overdraft which increases each year.

I don’t remember them doing any credit checks on Me. However, there wouldn’t have been anything to check really.

Tasha :-)

I hope so, second year is tough and it would help a lot.
Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by martin7
A bank will almost certainly run a credit check before granting an overdraft facility. It's up to the bank to decide whether to grant an overdraft and what limit they set.

Is Barclays an exigent?
Reply 5
Is Barclays an exigent?

It's not clear what you mean. The word "exigent" as a noun is variously classed by dictionaries as rare/archaic/obsolete. I suspect most people won't recognise this use.

If you mean "is Barclays fussy about who it grants overdrafts to", then I suspect it's probably no different to any other bank that offers student accounts. What might count against you is that you're not a UK student.

If a UK student doesn't pay back an overdraft then it's much easier for a bank to trace them and take legal action. Where a student comes from outside the UK, then (a) they're much more likely to leave the UK after their study has finished, and (b) tracing them and taking legal action is much harder and more expensive for the bank. Therefore lending to them is more risky for the bank, to the point at which the bank might decide they don't want to take that risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending