The Student Room Group

Can I Tell My School That I Would Like To Take IGCSEs Instead Of GCSES

I am at a state school unfortunately, and would like to take IGCSEs instead of GCSEs, could you give me any information on how I could change to the IGCSE course, as I favour its coursework
Reply 1
Why do you want to do this when you're being taught a different specification?

If you're in England they will say no as IGCSEs are not approved to be taught in UK state schools.
Reply 2
Original post by sammmmmmmmmmmmmy
I am at a state school unfortunately, and would like to take IGCSEs instead of GCSEs, could you give me any information on how I could change to the IGCSE course, as I favour its coursework

That isn't really a good reason to sit them. You'd have to be a private candidate.
Reply 3
The more I think about this, the weirder it is.

Most GCSEs don't even have coursework/NEA. Which subject(s) are you talking about?
Which exam board? If it's CAIE your school may well not be registered as a centre with them.
Why do you think your teacher should spend time understanding a different specification, teaching you different stuff to the rest of the class, getting his head round the marking criteria for the coursework, and all for results that won't even count for the school?
Original post by sammmmmmmmmmmmmy

Pretty sure you can't do IGCSEs in England. If you struggle with exams and prefer coursework, maybe see if your school offers BTECs (these can often have coursework that makes part of your grade) and take a few of those. If your in year 10 and have already started studying your subjects though, it might be too late to change (again. you'll have to check with your school though)

Quick Reply

Latest