The Student Room Group

Applying for STEM from an arts background, need advice [mature student]

I'm in my late 20's and currently studying on an Access to HE course in Science, in which I am predicted distinctions.

All of my studies previous to this course were performing arts related, including a 3 year vocational course. I left education two years ago.

Please could somebody advise me on how to explain why I have decided to pursue a biology / chemistry degree after committing to the arts for so long? My honest reason is that I have always found it interesting, would like to explore the make up of the world and would like to go into a viable career such as teaching.

Much appreciated :smile:
You don't need to justify your previous studies, you only need to discuss your current interests in the area.
Original post by artful_lounger
You don't need to justify your previous studies, you only need to discuss your current interests in the area.

Should I just not mention my previous studies at all?
Original post by artful_lounger

Also, should I structure it discussing my current affairs and interests followed by previous experiences / achievements or vice-versa?
Original post by iDeano
Should I just not mention my previous studies at all?

Well you will need to list them on the qualifications section of your UCAS application, but in terms of your personal statement unless there is something that is directly relevant to your interest in the course you are now applying to somehow,* it doesn't seem relevant to mention really to me.

Spoiler

Original post by iDeano
Also, should I structure it discussing my current affairs and interests followed by previous experiences / achievements or vice-versa?

I think you should start (and finish, although that is perhaps more my personal perspective) on discussing the relevant topic at hand i.e. why you are interested in the course you are applying to, how that may relate to your current studies, and what you have done to explore your prospective subject beyond your curricular studies. Other stuff like "generic" extracurriculars, transferable skills from unrelated subjects, work experience (unless extremely relevant) I think should not be the first thing on the PS, and I also think better to not have that be the last thing for the person reading it to have stick in their mind (better to remind them again of your core interests as it relates to the course).

That said I would recommend seeing the PS in context, which is that it is generally not the most important part of an application, and for quite a few universities and subjects may not be important at all. So don't get too worked up over it; literally just write about why you are interested in applying to the course you are applying to! How you structure it specifically is up to you and isn't going to make or break and application (unless you are applying to LSE for a competitive course there; they are really the only uni I know of which puts an extreme emphasis on the PS).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending