The Student Room Group

Reneging on a Training Contract offer

Hello there.

I have a training contract offer which I have accepted but will not begin for some time. If I receive a training contract offer in the meantime and decide I would rather train with that second firm, how will it work with regard to the SRA portal? Am I able to delete my SRA account and start from scratch myself? Or will the first firm remain on my record?

If anyone has experience in this, I'd love to chat. Thanks very much!
Guess you have to check the terms and condititions and see if there's a financial penalty. If you've signed then it is legally binding if there's a clause that talks about recouping financial costs. Likely they'll be sympathetic before you actually start. I'm gonna be honest and say I have never been bound by such a contract so it's difficult to say. Pulling out shouldn't affect your future applications, happens all the time.
nothing bad will happen unless the firm has spent money on you e.g. by funding your GDL or LPC. you'd be expected to pay that money back.

reneging is common.

keep in mind that the TC will require you to end all other applications to other firms. most ppl who renege don't do this and assume that sort of clause cannot be enforced in the real world. i think that this is a fair bet as HR don't talk to each other and have no reason to share a list of candidates who reneged with each other.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nemesisA1
Guess you have to check the terms and condititions and see if there's a financial penalty. If you've signed then it is legally binding if there's a clause that talks about recouping financial costs. Likely they'll be sympathetic before you actually start. I'm gonna be honest and say I have never been bound by such a contract so it's difficult to say. Pulling out shouldn't affect your future applications, happens all the time.

Thanks for the response! I owe the firm nothing financially, and the contract only states that my acceptance is taken to be a commitment. No mention of penalties etc. I ought to stop being such a worry wart! Thanks again.
Original post by EU Yakov
nothing bad will happen unless the firm has spent money on you e.g. by funding your GDL or LPC. you'd be expected to pay that money back.

reneging is common.

keep in mind that the TC will require you to end all other applications to other firms. most ppl who renege don't do this and assume that sort of clause cannot be enforced in the real world. i think that this is a fair bet as HR don't talk to each other and have no reason to share a list of candidates who reneged with each other.

Hi there, thanks for the response. No funding there.

Regarding your final point, I am in agreement with you. However, the TC offer actually has no mention of a requirement to end all other applications to other firms, so I suppose it's only the voluntary guidelines that have any bearing and they are 'only' guidelines...
Original post by Investigating
However, the TC offer actually has no mention of a requirement to end all other applications to other firms, so I suppose it's only the voluntary guidelines that have any bearing and they are 'only' guidelines...

interesting! mine did have a clause telling us to withdraw from all other TC app processes (it's a large national firm)
It is basic contract law. You have accepted an offer so there is a contract and you are going to breach it. However as the firm has not paid you anything their losses are all their time and having rejected loads of other people to make the offer to you and those others might now have been snapped up elsewhere but I doubt there are many damages for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending