The Student Room Group

Frontline Social Work 2021

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of questions I have about the Frontline social work scheme. After scouring the Frontline website and rest of the internet there are two things I can't find answers to.

1. In your 2nd year, I've heard there's a possibility of completing the course without having to complete the masters. Can you train without doing so? If so, does this mean you are at any disadvantage?
2. I understand that by doing Frontline you are training to become a children's social worker, but that you also do an adult placement. After qualifying, can you also work with adults, or are you qualified to just work with children?

Any advice/info appreciated, thanks so much.
Hi,

1. I'm not too sure but from that from my history with the organisation I do believe you have to complete the 2 years as it is a masters course and due to regulations by the social work England body you do need to have the 2 years to gain the accreditation to be a social worker (All SW masters are 2 years to qualify ) . Assuming you're applying it means you already have an undergraduate degree so you would apply to the Frontline scheme for masters with is the 2 years.

2. Yes once you have qualified you can apply to jobs with adults as well as children. You can even apply to jobs within social work mental health etc due to your ability to work with vulnerable people.

I hope this helped - any questions just let meknow !!
Reply 2
Hi Chantel_F, I am interested in finding out some more information about the Frontline application and it sounds like you might know! Would you mind if I send you some questions please? Or otherwise do you have any idea where there might be specific forums or a facebook page etc. where people share information about this process online? Thanks!
Hi Winnie,Yes any questions that you have I can try my best to answer
Reply 4
Original post by chantel_F
Hi Winnie,Yes any questions that you have I can try my best to answer

Thanks so much!

1. I wanted to try and find out what kind of questions are in the application to get prepping. I can't find a kind of practice application outlined online anywhere. Are you able to advise what kind of things are covered at all?

2. Also, I wondered how long it takes from submission to finding out if you have a video interview?

3. Do you know when in September the applications will open?

Thank you for any insights!
Hi winnie,
So I can’t tell you the exact questions due to confidentailairy etc so you won’t be able to find any online. But they are questions around your previous experiences , what you would do in a situation, and your qualities. They are normally shaped around the Frontline competencies values which can be found on the website. https://thefrontline.org.uk/competencies/

2. I found out I had a video interview quite quickly. But it depends when you submit your application. I would suggest to do it as soon as possible so you can get through all the stages ASAP.

3. I’m not too sure If it’s not on the page now then wait closer to September keep an eye out. Last year I had heard back about the video interview by the 3rd of October
Reply 6
Hi winnie,
So I can’t tell you the exact questions due to confidentailairy etc so you won’t be able to find any online. But they are questions around your previous experiences , what you would do in a situation, and your qualities. They are normally shaped around the Frontline competencies values which can be found on the website. https://thefrontline.org.uk/competencies/

2. I found out I had a video interview quite quickly. But it depends when you submit your application. I would suggest to do it as soon as possible so you can get through all the stages ASAP.

3. I’m not too sure If it’s not on the page now then wait closer to September keep an eye out. Last year I had heard back about the video interview by the 3rd of October

This is really helpful Chantel, thanks so much for taking the time.

Apologies for oversetting there about the questions on the application - I had assumed it was standardised and made available as some other course applications are - but totally makes sense that questions can't be shared.

Thanks again for the insights and will use the competencies to get prepped!
Reply 7
Hi winnie,

Sorry Chantel if I can ask one more thing - I read a post with someone saying the application can be financially demanding, does it cost much to apply can I ask? Thanks!
Original post by Winnie08
Sorry Chantel if I can ask one more thing - I read a post with someone saying the application can be financially demanding, does it cost much to apply can I ask? Thanks!

No I there’s no money to pay for the application. But once you are accepted on the course the first year is a bursary between £18-20K . If you have a job this is a big pay cut so maybe this is what people mean?
Reply 9
No I there’s no money to pay for the application. But once you are accepted on the course the first year is a bursary between £18-20K . If you have a job this is a big pay cut so maybe this is what people mean?

Great, thanks for confirming! Possibly people were referring to cost of traveling to assessment days, etc. i'm not certain. But this is really helpful. Thanks again, all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest