The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How likely am I to get an offer from Durham University?

I applied for English Literature and Philosophy (joint honours), with predicted grades A*AA. My GCSEs were a range from 6s to 9s with 9s in both English Lit and Language, and an 8 in Religious Studies.

I understand that Durham is a very prestigious university, but their offer rate is reassuringly high (around 70%?) and my course, being a somewhat niche crossover as opposed to a highly subscribed course such as pure English or History, I can imagine isn't too competitive?

So far I've received offers from Bristol, Exeter and York, and am waiting on Durham and Edinburgh.

I just hate having to wait :frown: and was wondering if anyone could offer me some insights into how they think my chances are...
Original post by Katewashington
I applied for English Literature and Philosophy (joint honours), with predicted grades A*AA. My GCSEs were a range from 6s to 9s with 9s in both English Lit and Language, and an 8 in Religious Studies.

I understand that Durham is a very prestigious university, but their offer rate is reassuringly high (around 70%?) and my course, being a somewhat niche crossover as opposed to a highly subscribed course such as pure English or History, I can imagine isn't too competitive?

So far I've received offers from Bristol, Exeter and York, and am waiting on Durham and Edinburgh.

I just hate having to wait :frown: and was wondering if anyone could offer me some insights into how they think my chances are...

I got an offer from durham within mere minutes of an application. Then again i am epic xD
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I applied on the 25th of October and got my Philosophy offer from Durham on the 1st of November so it shouldn't take that long. I also got Edinburgh a couple weeks ago so you shouldn't have to wait for them either.

The truth is nobody knows. English is one of Durham's flagship courses and that will obviously be part of Durham's decision.. Is the 70% offer rate the one for this course. If so, you have a good chance but none of us can really tell you.
Original post by swanseajack1
The truth is nobody knows. English is one of Durham's flagship courses and that will obviously be part of Durham's decision.. Is the 70% offer rate the one for this course. If so, you have a good chance but none of us can really tell you.

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it! Deep down I know that the truth is nobody knows and it could go either way, I just hate uncertainty hahah!
Thank you :wink:
Original post by Batteries
I applied on the 25th of October and got my Philosophy offer from Durham on the 1st of November so it shouldn't take that long. I also got Edinburgh a couple weeks ago so you shouldn't have to wait for them either.

Oh wow that's awesome- congrats! I've heard that Durham generally waits until after the 15th of Jan to start accepting or declining offers so you must have been a really strong applicant! :smile:
Is Durham your top choice?
Reply 6
I would assume that it would be quite high.
Unless your personal statement is bad, but considering you're applying for English, I also assume you have good writing skills and your personal statement is good.
I don’t see why you wouldn’t. I’ve applied for English and they’re probably my favourite option, so I’m on pins like you are, but remember they do say they’ll likely wait until the equal consideration deadline (15th Jan) to give offers out. The only people I’ve seen with offers so far have been contextual or international.

January is coming up soon, so expect to hear nothing until then. Stop checking, stop thinking about it, and just put it to the side until January. I’ve found that stopping my obsessive checking on here of different applicant threads has helped. It’s still a little frustrating for a moment on occasion, but nothing too major.

You sound like you have a great chance. Best of luck!
Oh wow that's awesome- congrats! I've heard that Durham generally waits until after the 15th of Jan to start accepting or declining offers so you must have been a really strong applicant! :smile:

Nah I've decided I prefer Edinburgh so I'm putting Durham down as my insurance even though the grade requirements are higher. Is it yours?
submitted my application for the same joint a week ago and Durham was the first offer I got, it took about two days, and the conditions of offer is AAA with A in English lit. We've got similar grades and a-level choices so I think they are just taking their time, it's holiday season now so offers may have to wait? which is an annoying process, I haven't heard from Edinburgh and St.Andrews yet ... btw maybe it's because I'm an international student hence the quick offer?

Oh I've been curious about this- can you make a uni with a higher offer your insurance? Because if I do get an offer from Edinburgh then I'll be in the same situation
Reply 11
Oh I've been curious about this- can you make a uni with a higher offer your insurance? Because if I do get an offer from Edinburgh then I'll be in the same situation

You can. Not sure why you would as if you meet your insurance then you'll meet your firm?
Original post by Rarest
You can. Not sure why you would as if you meet your insurance then you'll meet your firm?

In my case, though their's may be different, it's because of the way contextual offers change based on if you choose to firm an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest