The Student Room Group

step dad problem

I have known my step dad for around 6 years but I still can't talk to him if my mum isn't with him, he treats my step sons better than me and I just sit in my room all day. Does anyone else have this problem?
Original post by #unknown#
I have known my step dad for around 6 years but I still can't talk to him if my mum isn't with him, he treats my step sons better than me and I just sit in my room all day. Does anyone else have this problem?

Could you elaborate a bit - what do you mean you can't talk to him without your mum there? How does he treat your step-son better than you (I'm assuming you might mean his step-son instead as you sound quite young to have step-children yourself)?

I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My step-dad acts like he loves me when my mum is around but as soon as her back is turned, he's a b**** and I really can't stand it. Like you, I sit in my room and he gets mad at me but personally, it's his fault I'm not talking to him because he's mean, rude and selfish as hell

I understand your pain. You could PM me if you need help or want to get something off your chest
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Could you elaborate a bit - what do you mean you can't talk to him without your mum there? How does he treat your step-son better than you (I'm assuming you might mean his step-son instead as you sound quite young to have step-children yourself)?

(yeah I meant my step brother's)
Like today, my mum hasn't been home because of an operation so my step dad looked after us. The whole day he has been playing games downstairs with his children, he bought £20 worth of sweets and cooked them dinner, I have been In1 my room since 8am and ordered myself a takeaway because I haven't eaten all day and felt uncomfortable going downstairs. Also I'm 13 and my step brother is 16,im expected to clean the house, look after my mum while doing dinner and cleaning my room, my step brother plays video games all day and I get told off for not putting something away. :frown:
Like today, my mum hasn't been home because of an operation so my step dad looked after us. The whole day he has been playing games downstairs with his children, he bought £20 worth of sweets and cooked them dinner, I have been In1 my room since 8am and ordered myself a takeaway because I haven't eaten all day and felt uncomfortable going downstairs. Also I'm 13 and my step brother is 16,im expected to clean the house, look after my mum while doing dinner and cleaning my room, my step brother plays video games all day and I get told off for not putting something away. :frown:

Sounds like your mum and step-dad have an expectation of you being a "housewife" because you're a girl. It likely won't be easy, but I do recommend trying to bring up how you're feeling and how you feel like there treating you. You shouldn't feel like you can't eat downstairs in the house you live in. Try writing down how you feel in a letter if you don't think you can verbally say it. But if you want it to change you have to channel that courage you have somewhere inside you and put your foot down. It sounds scary but they may genuinely not be aware of how they're making you feel so by speaking up, you could turn your whole home life around.

OML!!! I have the same problem with my grandma(currently she's staying over FOR A MONTH) and she thinks because I am a girl I have to clean and look after everyone in the family whilst my brother plays video games/is on YouTube ALL DAY!!!
I would really take on board what DrawTheLine said as I think it may work
I'm here for you xx

Quick Reply

Latest