The Student Room Group

Parents pressuring me. HELP!

So I am now a 21 year old and I have recently graduated from my degree. I came back to live at home with my step mum and my dad. I was originally planning on taking a year out from studies to work and gain experience as I have a bachelors in psychology and you need work experience if you want to pursue a Phd and career in psychology. My parents however do not understand this. I graduated from a lower ranked university and with the pressure of my parents I applied to do my masters at the same uni again because the deadlines for most other unis have passed. this left me with no other choice to stay at the same uni that I didn't really want or enjoy. However, my step mum has a son who had also studied psychology and has a phd now and a good paying job. she keeps insisting that if I do not do my masters this year that I will waste one year of my life doing something useless and I will deeply regret this in a year time. She also keeps comparing me to her son by saying look he now has a well paid job and that I should do my masters regardless of the university ranking. she even told me today that she thinks im lazy because I don't want to attend university. My dad warned me yesterday that if I don't find a job he will never forgive me for the rest of his life. I seem to think that these reactions are way too dramatic. I am only 21 and a lot of people are still experimenting with their lives at this stage and do not have a solid plan of what they want to do for the rest of their lives. My step mum however said that most people do and I am just kidding myself by saying that they don't. But ive seen so many graduates feeling like this. They have had this conversation with me so many times that I am now second guessing myself. Is it worth it to do my masters in a university, doing a course that I do not want even though it was my plan the whole time to work for a year? I am genuinely trying to find work that is related to my degree, eg, mental health related mostly. I have an interview on Tuesday too, at a job that deals with individuals with complex mental health needs. My step mum believes that I will not be able to handle it and this whole year will be a waste of my time. But I genuinely need to do something different. I need a break from studying. I need to experience something new and learn about what it would be like to work in this kind of environment as I aspire to be a psychologist in the future. What do you think about this situation? Has anyone else been in this situation and if so what did you do?
If you need a break from studying, then take the break! You shouldn't be coerced into doing what you really don't want to do and a year isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. You can always pursue a Masters degree later if you so desire. All the best in your interview!
Reply 2
Thank you so much. I just wish that they could understand this too.

Original post by iamthankful
If you need a break from studying, then take the break! You shouldn't be coerced into doing what you really don't want to do and a year isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. You can always pursue a Masters degree later if you so desire. All the best in your interview!
I'm sorry your dad and stepmum aren't supporting you. If you're not 100% sure on the masters, I'd recommend getting a job/voluntary work supporting those who are vulnerable such as HCA/support worker roles, which sounds similar into what you're considering anyway. You'll need as much experience as possible before even thinking about the doctorate and it'll give you an advantage when applying for AP roles etc later down the line. Don't do another degree just because someone else is telling you to, it's a lot of time and effort and money and you can only use the postgraduate loan once.
Reply 4
Original post by Mel1882839291
So I am now a 21 year old and I have recently graduated from my degree. I came back to live at home with my step mum and my dad. I was originally planning on taking a year out from studies to work and gain experience as I have a bachelors in psychology and you need work experience if you want to pursue a Phd and career in psychology. My parents however do not understand this. I graduated from a lower ranked university and with the pressure of my parents I applied to do my masters at the same uni again because the deadlines for most other unis have passed. this left me with no other choice to stay at the same uni that I didn't really want or enjoy. However, my step mum has a son who had also studied psychology and has a phd now and a good paying job. she keeps insisting that if I do not do my masters this year that I will waste one year of my life doing something useless and I will deeply regret this in a year time. She also keeps comparing me to her son by saying look he now has a well paid job and that I should do my masters regardless of the university ranking. she even told me today that she thinks im lazy because I don't want to attend university. My dad warned me yesterday that if I don't find a job he will never forgive me for the rest of his life. I seem to think that these reactions are way too dramatic. I am only 21 and a lot of people are still experimenting with their lives at this stage and do not have a solid plan of what they want to do for the rest of their lives. My step mum however said that most people do and I am just kidding myself by saying that they don't. But ive seen so many graduates feeling like this. They have had this conversation with me so many times that I am now second guessing myself. Is it worth it to do my masters in a university, doing a course that I do not want even though it was my plan the whole time to work for a year? I am genuinely trying to find work that is related to my degree, eg, mental health related mostly. I have an interview on Tuesday too, at a job that deals with individuals with complex mental health needs. My step mum believes that I will not be able to handle it and this whole year will be a waste of my time. But I genuinely need to do something different. I need a break from studying. I need to experience something new and learn about what it would be like to work in this kind of environment as I aspire to be a psychologist in the future. What do you think about this situation? Has anyone else been in this situation and if so what did you do?

I am curious of what kind of psychologist is your mum if she doesn't respect and empower you....be yourself and strong enough to stand up for yourself! You are intelligent, hard working - self-aware and conscious of your needs. A masters that you won't enjoy in a poor uni won't lead you anywhere. Just follow your guts and dreams, and you will excel. By the way, there is no lower uni...it's about what you will do with your degree and how you will manage your career that counts....many people with a "good"uni degree don't climb up the ladder later...it's about grit, resilience, and conviction! believe in yourself! best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending