The Student Room Group

Land Law Treasure Problem Question Structure

Hey all,

I currently am in the midst of battling December Assignments, EU, Company, Criminal and Land Law D:

I have done quite a lot of quantitative research on Treasure and the law surrounding the discovery and ownership of chattel's on land but I'm really struggling on how to structure the answer to the problem question in a way which saves words (1000 limit) and will help for a first-class mark.

I'm in my second year after passing first year with someone like 0.7% of a mark from a first and desperately want to improve.

The question is to advise the parties as to who is entitled to the items and I can provide the question if needed. Just to clarify I don't need help on the content of the question just the best way to structure an answer.

Finally I know the IRAC structure must be used for legal essays and problem questions so that's less of an issue, but more specifically I'm struggling more with signposting and introductions.
Hello. Use your class notes as a source of fodder for the entire law essay. Aim to provide enough detail throughout the whole coursework essay and try to write out at least three full paragraphs. Also I would certainly spend at least a whole hour on the bulk of the essay as well.
Make sure that you quote any law facts correctly too. Reference all your research sources and then put all the information which you find into your own words as far as possible in addition. Pay careful attention to the time however. This is a rough plan for your essay as follows.
Paragraph one is your introduction, include the name of the topic at the top. Give a quick brief summary outline as to what sort of topics that you want to talk about for your essay.
Then secondly for your next full paragraph of the coursework essay instead of repeating yourself again just list one or two original points of view and a few good solid reasons as to why.
Paragraphs number three and four should ideally follow the same type of structure. Here you could also supply some relevant detail on some old land law cases. I would end this by saying do your online research properly and properly and slowly read the information. Find and summarise old articles that are posted online for starters. Make up some brief notes as required.
Original post by Phateisboss
Hey all,

I currently am in the midst of battling December Assignments, EU, Company, Criminal and Land Law D:

I have done quite a lot of quantitative research on Treasure and the law surrounding the discovery and ownership of chattel's on land but I'm really struggling on how to structure the answer to the problem question in a way which saves words (1000 limit) and will help for a first-class mark.

I'm in my second year after passing first year with someone like 0.7% of a mark from a first and desperately want to improve.

The question is to advise the parties as to who is entitled to the items and I can provide the question if needed. Just to clarify I don't need help on the content of the question just the best way to structure an answer.

Finally I know the IRAC structure must be used for legal essays and problem questions so that's less of an issue, but more specifically I'm struggling more with signposting and introductions.

Hi there,

It seems that you have done all the hard work and IRAC is always the best method to use when answering a problem based question.

Could you use the 'issue' element of IRAC to 'signpost' and introduce your answer?

For example (Warning - I know very little about the law relating to treasure and things found on the law!) your introduction could be an explanation of the 'big' overreaching issue(s) such as ' In advising [x] and [y] the issue to be resolved is who is owner of the various items discovered by [x] on [y's] land and whether the items are protected under the Treasure Act.

So perhaps there are 2 distinct issues - one relating to ownership and the other relating to whether items found are 'treasure' and so need reporting. If so; say so. So you have an intro and signposting all in one.

In terms of signposting I would simply state 'the next issue is' ...

Use the words / phrases such as 'the relevant law is...' 'when applying this to the facts'... ' in conclusion ...'.

In other words let IRAC do the signposting for you.

I hope this helps rather than confuses!
Amanda
Reply 3
Original post by Lawschoolhack
Hi there,

It seems that you have done all the hard work and IRAC is always the best method to use when answering a problem based question.

Could you use the 'issue' element of IRAC to 'signpost' and introduce your answer?

For example (Warning - I know very little about the law relating to treasure and things found on the law!) your introduction could be an explanation of the 'big' overreaching issue(s) such as ' In advising [x] and [y] the issue to be resolved is who is owner of the various items discovered by [x] on [y's] land and whether the items are protected under the Treasure Act.

So perhaps there are 2 distinct issues - one relating to ownership and the other relating to whether items found are 'treasure' and so need reporting. If so; say so. So you have an intro and signposting all in one.

In terms of signposting I would simply state 'the next issue is' ...

Use the words / phrases such as 'the relevant law is...' 'when applying this to the facts'... ' in conclusion ...'.

In other words let IRAC do the signposting for you.

I hope this helps rather than confuses!
Amanda

That's almost perfect, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending