The Student Room Group

English law with French law

Hello everyone! I am finishing up my UCAS application for “law with French law” and currently have 4 universities in mind : UCL KCL QMUL and Leeds, however I am still looking for my last option and need some advice.
Which would be a better option? Birmingham, Sheffield, Exeter, kent? (Feel free to give me other options if you know any better ones) thank you!
I'd personally say Exeter, maybe because it's one of my options too. It also offers the Maitrise course which is better in my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by chloenix
I'd personally say Exeter, maybe because it's one of my options too. It also offers the Maitrise course which is better in my opinion.

That’s the thing, I don’t see a clear difference between maîtrise and just the normal one, I am aware that it involves one extra year but does it qualify you to become a lawyer in France or make it easier? KCL and QMUL offer maîtrise.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by dana.f!
That’s the thing, I don’t see a clear difference between maîtrise and just the normal one, I am aware that it involves one extra year but does it qualify you to become a lawyer in France or make it easier? KCL and QMUL offers maîtrise.

To be a lawyer in France you need 4 years of study (M1), and this is offered by the Maitrise. However studying at the other universities won't allow for this :smile:
Reply 4
To be a lawyer in France you need 4 years of study (M1), and this is offered by the Maitrise. However studying at the other universities won't allow for this :smile:

So with the maîtrise you are able to qualify to complete the law degree and become a French lawyer? Or are the two years equivalent?
Original post by dana.f!
So with the maîtrise you are able to qualify to complete the law degree and become a French lawyer? Or are the two years equivalent?

I think that's the case, at least from the few information pages I've read. I think you might have to take an exam too.

What do you mean by the question 'are the two years equivalent', sorry I'm a bit lost haha
Reply 6
I think that's the case, at least from the few information pages I've read. I think you might have to take an exam too.

What do you mean by the question 'are the two years equivalent', sorry I'm a bit lost haha

Hahah it’s fine, it’s complicated actually, because I’ve read on many pages that you can continue and be a French lawyer with the maîtrise but I had no idea which route to take, do you do a masters in France? Do you take a test there? Does it directly qualify you to continue studies in France? And if so does the normal one year abroad not offer this kind of route?
I know you might not have all the answers to this, the info pages are quite limited. But thank you for your help again :smile:
Original post by dana.f!
Hahah it’s fine, it’s complicated actually, because I’ve read on many pages that you can continue and be a French lawyer with the maîtrise but I had no idea which route to take, do you do a masters in France? Do you take a test there? Does it directly qualify you to continue studies in France? And if so does the normal one year abroad not offer this kind of route?
I know you might not have all the answers to this, the info pages are quite limited. But thank you for your help again :smile:

So basically, the year in France with the Maitrise course means that you obtain the M1 qualification (aka the first years of your Masters). This will give you enough knowledge to pass an exam to become a lawyer in France (like the French bar exam). The non-Maitrise Law with French Law courses do not offer this, BUT, you will have enough knowledge to complete an M1 qualification in France on your own once you finish your undergrad degree. So it's an extra year studying in France if you want to become a lawyer there.

Once you have passed the exam you are qualified to become a lawyer in France. This is what I've understood.

Edit: If anyone wants to correct me on this I'm more than open because I'm not 100% sure!
Reply 8
So basically, the year in France with the Maitrise course means that you obtain the M1 qualification (aka the first years of your Masters). This will give you enough knowledge to pass an exam to become a lawyer in France (like the French bar exam). The non-Maitrise Law with French Law courses do not offer this, BUT, you will have enough knowledge to complete an M1 qualification in France on your own once you finish your undergrad degree. So it's an extra year studying in France if you want to become a lawyer there.

Once you have passed the exam you are qualified to become a lawyer in France. This is what I've understood.

Edit: If anyone wants to correct me on this I'm more than open because I'm not 100% sure!

Ohh I understand, so Birmingham’s licence de droit with Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas, will sadly not be counted as a maîtrise... although this university is the best in the country, Exeter seems very interesting but I don’t know about Rennes, it may be quite boring compared to Paris, but I still think it’s the most interesting choice. Do you know anything about the social student life in Exeter? And I think you mentioned in another discussion that you also applied to Nottingham KCL and UCL? Which are you considering the most? If you don’t mind me asking why haven’t you considered Leicester kent or other universities that offer this course? Thank you so much Chloe you’ve been very helpful since I first started using this website :smile: if you have any questions for me feel free to ask, as a French student I know a lot about the French system and i would love to help.
Original post by dana.f!
Ohh I understand, so Birmingham’s licence de droit with Université Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas, will sadly not be counted as a maîtrise... although this university is the best in the country, Exeter seems very interesting but I don’t know about Rennes, it may be quite boring compared to Paris, but I still think it’s the most interesting choice. Do you know anything about the social student life in Exeter? And I think you mentioned in another discussion that you also applied to Nottingham KCL and UCL? Which are you considering the most? If you don’t mind me asking why haven’t you considered Leicester kent or other universities that offer this course? Thank you so much Chloe you’ve been very helpful since I first started using this website :smile: if you have any questions for me feel free to ask, as a French student I know a lot about the French system and i would love to help.

I'll reply to your questions in order :smile::
-Yes you are right. Unless the degree is a 'maîtrise', you will not be able to qualify as a practicing French lawyer by studying there. However, you still do get 'Un certificat du droit français', and it says on Birmingham's website that if you chose to study at the University of Orléans you will receive 'une license de droit' (but this is only for Orléans, not Assas).
-My friend studied at Rennes and apparently it is a lot more fun that it seems! They are known for their parties!
-Exeter is a small-ish place so I've heard that a lot of the students know each other. The town is also small but has some good clubs, bars, pubs etc. It definitely seems more 'cosy' than London unis for example!
-Yes I applied to Notts, KCL, UCL, can't believe you remembered wow! My first choice is probably Exeter, then Kings, then Nottingham, then UCL.
-I haven't considered Kent because it seems too small for me, and perhaps not as 'prestigious' as the others. And I live in Leicester so I want to move away from my hometown, and I don't like this city at all! It might be nice if I hadn't lived here all my life!

And that's no problem I'm always happy to discuss with my fellow Law with French Law applicants! :biggrin: I do actually have a few questions about the French system but I'll send you a private message if that is okay? :smile:
Reply 10
I'll reply to your questions in order :smile::
-Yes you are right. Unless the degree is a 'maîtrise', you will not be able to qualify as a practicing French lawyer by studying there. However, you still do get 'Un certificat du droit français', and it says on Birmingham's website that if you chose to study at the University of Orléans you will receive 'une license de droit' (but this is only for Orléans, not Assas).
-My friend studied at Rennes and apparently it is a lot more fun that it seems! They are known for their parties!
-Exeter is a small-ish place so I've heard that a lot of the students know each other. The town is also small but has some good clubs, bars, pubs etc. It definitely seems more 'cosy' than London unis for example!
-Yes I applied to Notts, KCL, UCL, can't believe you remembered wow! My first choice is probably Exeter, then Kings, then Nottingham, then UCL.
-I haven't considered Kent because it seems too small for me, and perhaps not as 'prestigious' as the others. And I live in Leicester so I want to move away from my hometown, and I don't like this city at all! It might be nice if I hadn't lived here all my life!

And that's no problem I'm always happy to discuss with my fellow Law with French Law applicants! :biggrin: I do actually have a few questions about the French system but I'll send you a private message if that is okay? :smile:

Hahaha yes I remembered because you’re literally the only other person I have come across that wants to do law with French law and I’m so happy to finally be able to talk about it to someone who understands😂
Yes definitely text me on private whenever you want!
Hi both,

I study Law with French Law at Nottingham at the mo (1st year). If you guys have any qs i'm happy to answer and help out if i can!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending