The Student Room Group

maths, psychology, computing (economics reserve?) (HELP pls)

for my A Levels i'm currently fixed on choosing maths, psychology, and computer science. i want a degree in either finance or computer science in the future and psychology im just taking out of interest.

the thing is very few people are taking computer science so it's likely to not take place. if it doesn't i need a reserve, and i'm interested in economics.

i would do business but i dont know if its seen as a soft subject? plus its not greatly taught at our school and i never picked it for my GCSEs.

so long story short -- would maths, psychology, and economics be too heavy in terms of essays (not especially my strength but i dont mind writing them)? how is economics at A Level?
Original post by sq6id
for my A Levels i'm currently fixed on choosing maths, psychology, and computer science. i want a degree in either finance or computer science in the future and psychology im just taking out of interest.

the thing is very few people are taking computer science so it's likely to not take place. if it doesn't i need a reserve, and i'm interested in economics.

i would do business but i dont know if its seen as a soft subject? plus its not greatly taught at our school and i never picked it for my GCSEs.

so long story short -- would maths, psychology, and economics be too heavy in terms of essays (not especially my strength but i dont mind writing them)? how is economics at A Level?

This looks like a good combo btw I’d say go with economics as a reserve that’s much better than business, and yes business isn’t valued that highly. Also if you do pick psychology and economic and maths, they tie in well together as maths and econ go well and psychology will help you with understanding key economic theories and behavioural economics. Economics isn’t too essay heavy, you just need to show how logical you are and maths comes in help with that, however you will have to write essays, not too sure about psychology. But definetley go with maths 100% it’s quite hard but extremely useful.
That's fine, although for CS degrees A-level Further Maths would usually be useful preparation, and for a few courses (e.g. Imperial, Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL) would likely be reasonably be expected for you to have taken it if it's offered by your school.

FM might be useful or indeed required for a handful of very mathematical finance courses (e.g. the Financial Mathematics & Statistics degree at LSE) as well, but for most "general" finance or A&F degrees wouldn't be necessary (or even potentially all that useful).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest