The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Internet in Murano Street

For anyone who's not willing to pay an extra £10 a month on top of rent, the internet in Murano is restricted. You cannot use 4OD, or even watch channel 4 online, and I've heard that you can't use tv streaming sites other than youtube. Does anyone know which sites we officially can or can't use? Some websites e.g. TV Links, are already blocked, but if we try to use others, will we be fined or disconnected?

Also, has anyone successfully used DC++ at Murano without getting caught?
Reply 1
I'm more annoyed that I can't get on USENET or SMTP access from Thunderbird.. oh joy, I can receive emails from my Google Mail accounts, but can I get on any newsgroups or SEND emails? No, apparently that's for the richer ones.

Bah.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
I knew I'd regret not having access to online video, iPlayer and 4OD etc so I just coughed up the cash. I've already watched a good £20 worth of Peep Show through 4OD so hopefully I'll recoup the costs over the course of the year.

If you're after a list of websites, could you email MasterPoint?
I lived there last year with the basic internet connection, and no, I couldn't get any of the streaming video sites like youtube. It sucked.
Reply 4
Oddly enough, 40D and Channel 4 online are working now, so I'm guessing it was a problem with the service rather than being blocked by masterpoint. As for streaming sites, youtube works, and the other sites are not blocked, so I'll probably just risk it.
Reply 5
yeah not sure whether you're officially allowed it, but 4OD and youtube definitely work in murano street

Latest

Trending

Trending