The Student Room Group

Nursing / Vet nursing 2021 uni with foundation year

Hi - I'm currently doing a level 3 business admin apprenticeship, and I am looking to go to uni in September 2021, to either do vet nursing or nursing to maybe lead into midwifery but I would need to do a foundation year due to not having a lot of UCAS points from my apprenticeship.

Anyone else in the same boat or similar? I'd be looking for places that only require 0-48 points (I'm not sure how many I actually get but I think it's only 48 max)
Reply 1
I'd be naturally dubious about this.
What do you actually want to do - nursing or vet nursing? Is your interest in human health or actually animals?
You're not leaving a great window for responses - the UCAS deadline where universities have to consider your application is the end of this month and you've not even decided whether you're applying for vetinerary nursing, nursing (whatever branch) or midwifery which are six different things (yes really! Vet nurse is very different to midwife, same as adult, child, LD & MH nurses) - foundation year or not are you actually sure what you want to do?
Original post by cgray68
Hi - I'm currently doing a level 3 business admin apprenticeship, and I am looking to go to uni in September 2021, to either do vet nursing or nursing to maybe lead into midwifery but I would need to do a foundation year due to not having a lot of UCAS points from my apprenticeship.

Anyone else in the same boat or similar? I'd be looking for places that only require 0-48 points (I'm not sure how many I actually get but I think it's only 48 max)

Original post by Emily_B
What do you actually want to do - nursing or vet nursing? Is your interest in human health or actually animals?
You're not leaving a great window for responses - the UCAS deadline where universities have to consider your application is the end of this month and you've not even decided whether you're applying for vetinerary nursing, nursing (whatever branch) or midwifery which are six different things (yes really! Vet nurse is very different to midwife, same as adult, child, LD & MH nurses) - foundation year or not are you actually sure what you want to do?

Hi

Veterinary nursing is over either 3 or 4 years...
3 years is for Fdsc ( foundation course ) with option to do another year to give you equivalent of BSC degree, and the 4 years is BSC degree course, either of the two will get you a job as a veterinary nurse but employers would favour BSC over Fdsc. There's other courses that you can do for vet nursing but local college / universities would be best place to enquire on these.
I'm a qualified veterinary nurse but I am now doing my dream job as a adult nurse as started my nursing training recently in September 2020.

As Emily said nursing & midwifing and other nursing branches she mentioned and Is totally different from veterinary nursing as lot more training involved in veterinary nursing.
Original post by Emily_B

@Emily_B
I'm with you on this as finding things strange to understand. What's animals got to do with humans if wanting to be a nurse but midwifing she'll be best going straight into this if got entry requirements for the particular university.
Same applies to nursing. And with lots of universities dropping the midwifing top-up shortened course then she might be stuck with going back to university as a student for 3 years again if she chose adult nursing first .
I agree with OP on vet nursing as that's the routes for this what they said on it ok xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending