The Student Room Group

what can i do with bio, psych & english lit?

i start year 12 in september and those are the options i chose (biology, psychology and english lit). i’m wondering what jobs i can go into with those alevels, i want to do law at the moment but i’m aware it’s very oversaturated plus i don’t want to close off my options at this point since i still have time to decide. what job sectors or specific jobs can i do with those?
Reply 1
Do you plan on taking any further qualifications, such as an undergraduate degree?
Reply 2
Original post by millsr
Do you plan on taking any further qualifications, such as an undergraduate degree?

yes! i’m currently looking to do english and us law when i finish sixth form although that is far ahead.
Reply 3
Original post by ermmaya
yes! i’m currently looking to do english and us law when i finish sixth form although that is far ahead.

Obviously with law degrees the obvious job options are solicitor or barrister, but you could go into something like teaching or the police if you don't want to be a lawyer. As you've said, competition for training jobs with law firms is fierce, but if you work hard and get as much exposure as possible you can find a great training post with a top firm.

If you're wondering about your other options, other humanities subjects like history, politics or criminology might interest you, and can lead to a range of careers. Your English lit a level would be helpful for those, as well as subjects like linguistics.

If you find yourself more interested in the biology/psychology side of things, a career in combining elements of both may be worth pursuing, like neuroscience. A career in healthcare could also be of interest, there's a huge range of options there like psychotherapy, paramedic science, physiotherapy, nursing etc.

You don't need to know exactly what you want to do right now, there's still plenty of time before you apply for uni, and lots of post-sixth form opportunities after you finish a levels. When the pandemic has settled a bit there will be opportunities for work experience in loads of different sectors if you're not 100% sure what you want, and so many things you can do that are completely unrelated to your chosen a levels. Just work hard in sixth form and get a good set of grades and there'll be tons of opportunities for you to work/study in loads of different sectors.

Quick Reply

Latest