The Student Room Group

what do you do with your notes

first of all, if you are answering this post and have completed a degree please post your mark, first, 2:1 .....

Now, i am trying to see how people note take and what they do with their notes. so far i scribble down my notes and then after the lecture head to the library and hand write them neatly as possible for reference, do you all re write on the computer and then read through at exam time, or do you all keep your notes on paper until exam time comes?

(the reason i ask about the grade you got was i am wondering if there is any correlation, its a long shot, but why not :biggrin: )

thanks everyone

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've not finished my degree yet, but I use school exercise books, one for each module; and find that really helps for me. It keeps everything in one place. Far easier than using (and losing) lots of paper.

Also, I dislike your signature.
Reply 2
I take (very!) rough notes in lectures, then write them up at home, where I can organise the info how I want and add bits to it from my textbooks etc. I hand write all my notes, because I HATE reading from computer screens. If we get printed handouts I usually hand write those too. When revising I usually end up writing out my notes again but in a way more condensed form.
Reply 3
cpj1987

Also, I dislike your signature.

can i be forgiven please
Reply 4
jermaindefoe
can i be forgiven please

No :hmmm:
Reply 5
cpj1987
I've not finished my degree yet, but I use school exercise books, one for each module; and find that really helps for me. It keeps everything in one place. Far easier than using (and losing) lots of paper.

I need some of them exercise books too, do stationarey shops sell them?
Reply 6
We usually get all our notes in electronic form. I print them out prior to class, and simply annotate as needed. You don't want to get into the habbit of re-writing notes too much during term time, as you'll find that when you're nearing completion of your degree (especially final year), you won't have as much time to spend on it.
Reply 7
Fusion

I'm not sure to be honest. I was lazy and bought them on eBay; I need to find somewhere that sells more. :frown: :p:
Reply 8
I take notes in lectures and then copy them up again. sometime I scan notes so just incase I lose or misplace the hard copy I still have a backup.
Reply 9
use them as toilet paper
Reply 10
i did a maths degree. so no printed notes were given or available, (ever).

i mainly took notes in lectures, but not always, and sometimes i kind of gave up on staying awake / keeping up / interpreting the lecturers handwriting, halfway through. (our lecture format was lecturer writes on chalk board, students copy down).

i never copied up notes after the lecture, and never read them through again after, just shoved them in a file. i did revise for the exams though, starting the day before usually, i would go through a past paper for the exam, thats when most of my learning occured. i was generally learning the matierial at this stage rather than revising it.

none of that are strategies i would advise people to use, but i was lazy i guess, i didnt see the point in doing any work through the year. my memory is such that it wouldnt make any difference how much time i spent on lecture notes. theres zero chance of me remembering any of it. but hey it worked fine for me.

oh and my degree mark was a 1st.
cpj1987

I do the same as this.

Also not completed my degree yet.
Reply 12
I'm just a Sixth Former but I'm planning on typing up onto the computer when I go to Uni.

Just wanted to say, that sig is currently being sent to some people who'll greatly appreciate it :biggrin:
Fusion

Go to an office suppliers like Staples - they tend to sell them in packs for quite good prices. :smile:
I used to re-write my notes neatly by hand in spare moments so I could understand them by the time exams came around as I had to write so much I often used abbreviations and symbols for things that I'd probably forget what they meant later on.
Reply 15
jermaindefoe
first of all, if you are answering this post and have completed a degree please post your mark, first, 2:1 .....

Now, i am trying to see how people note take and what they do with their notes. so far i scribble down my notes and then after the lecture head to the library and hand write them neatly as possible for reference, do you all re write on the computer and then read through at exam time, or do you all keep your notes on paper until exam time comes?

(the reason i ask about the grade you got was i am wondering if there is any correlation, its a long shot, but why not :biggrin: )

thanks everyone

I think different approaches are appropriate for different subjects.

For say English Literature the lecture notes were merely a skeleton or outline re a text: a one hour lecture would hardly do justice to the work. I tended to read some of the source references within the lecture and try, very badly, to cross reference my notes on that work to the lecture notes. Sometimes I would rewrite the lecture notes as my handwriting was ,and still is, untidy.

It is however dangerous to rewrite the notes and include within the new notes the further reading as unless you are very careful you may end up not remembering , or marking, the source, which can be problematic if later used in an essay. The dreaded "borrowed sophistication" without appropriate footnote.
Reply 16
Bring back Kevin Keegan! (not that i support newcastle, Wolves ftw :wink: )

Anywaaaay, back on topic:
Again another sixth former here, but i find that condensing notes is very useful for revision as long as you have some decent notes to begin with. Rewriting them all takes time, but typing them up takes just as long :frown:
(Final year student, expecting 2.1/borderline first)

All our notes are available in electronic form so I have my laptop on during every class. I take notes during the lectures anyway, and I have a folder with a section for each subject, which is slightly unusual for my course because most people don't take any notes unless they have to.

When I'm revising I tend to make my own notes, and be heavily guided by exam question requirements.
Reply 18
Usually I rewrite my notes to make them easier to read during exam times. If the notes are online then I won't rewrite and just combine what I wrote down during lectures with what I print.
To start with I used to just file them, write them up if they were especially messy... by final year I didn't even file them. I just had a refill pad for each module and kept all the papers together. Not advisable. I got a 2.1 :smile:

For my MA, so far, I'm being very good and filing everything meticulously.

Latest

Trending

Trending