The Student Room Group

last minute sixth form change

I've been in public education in London my whole life and have a good sixth form picked out and applied to there. However, I very recently received the news that some family members have managed to raise the money to send me to a very expensive private school (Uppingham to be precise.) I'm really not sure if the private vs state school divide is great enough to justify switching from a school I am used to and have friends in to a boarding school far from home.
I go to a private school and personally I wouldn’t change it for the world. Teachers are genuinely invested in you, not only your education but how you develop as a person. You’ll find that you make friends there but during the holidays you won’t interact with them as you’ll be home/needing a break from each other so you’ll have plenty of time interact with your old friends. I’m not a boarder but at my school, day pupils can board 1 a week for free, and stay till 9 each day, and in sixth form we have our own rooms even as day pupils. I find boarding life to be good and fulfilling and will really help prep you for university. It’s a scary step but unless you really really wouldn’t want to be away from home, any nervous feels will settle quickly.
Reply 2
Original post by MiriamL
I go to a private school and personally I wouldn’t change it for the world. Teachers are genuinely invested in you, not only your education but how you develop as a person. You’ll find that you make friends there but during the holidays you won’t interact with them as you’ll be home/needing a break from each other so you’ll have plenty of time interact with your old friends. I’m not a boarder but at my school, day pupils can board 1 a week for free, and stay till 9 each day, and in sixth form we have our own rooms even as day pupils. I find boarding life to be good and fulfilling and will really help prep you for university. It’s a scary step but unless you really really wouldn’t want to be away from home, any nervous feels will settle quickly.

Thank you so much for the insight! Im still reeling from the fact that I wont be able to make fun of the people I know for being private school *******s when I might end up being the biggest ******* of them so I appreciate your reassurance that this might be worth the (frankly terrifying) transition.
Original post by s0rrel
I've been in public education in London my whole life and have a good sixth form picked out and applied to there. However, I very recently received the news that some family members have managed to raise the money to send me to a very expensive private school (Uppingham to be precise.) I'm really not sure if the private vs state school divide is great enough to justify switching from a school I am used to and have friends in to a boarding school far from home.

Hiii i noticed that you said uppingham I am applying for Uppingham six form and my exam is next week. Could you give any insight on the exam or interview? I have never really been to a school this fancy and hav only looked around some private school but have only applied for this one so I am quite unfamiliar with how it works. If so I will be eternally grateful. Thank you so much

Latest