The Student Room Group

How to choose a work experience placement for Engineering?

Hi! I recently applied for some online work experience placements and got into two and I am not sure which one to chose. I got into Fusion and BMJV. Fusion was on Construction of buildings and BMJV is about smart motorways. I think that Smart Motorways have a bit more of a wider scope of engineering, as I am not specifically interested in civil engineering, but there weren't any placements for any other fields of engineering. Which one should I chose? Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!
Original post by MayaVellichor
Hi! I recently applied for some online work experience placements and got into two and I am not sure which one to chose. I got into Fusion and BMJV. Fusion was on Construction of buildings and BMJV is about smart motorways. I think that Smart Motorways have a bit more of a wider scope of engineering, as I am not specifically interested in civil engineering, but there weren't any placements for any other fields of engineering. Which one should I chose? Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Hey @MayaVellichor ! First up, congrats on having two placement options- that's aaaaamazing! :u:

Maybe write down a pros and cons of each placement? Which one will give you most responsibility, and give you lots of opportunities to push your engineering skills? Try to focus on the transferrable skills that you'll gain from each (team working, leadership, communication, organisational and problem solving skills to name a few)- and how in turn these will help your own professional development. Go for the placement that you feel will support you most, and give you access to projects in real time. If both of them seem pretty equal in these respects- then go for the project that appeals to you a bit more (from the sounds of things that could maybe be Smart Motorways?) as you're more likely to work better in an environment you're really passionate about and can get your teeth stuck in to! :^_^:

Sorry, I can't provide exact insight in to either of the placements you've been offered but thought I could try give you a few things to think about at least!

Take care,
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @MayaVellichor ! First up, congrats on having two placement options- that's aaaaamazing! :u:

Maybe write down a pros and cons of each placement? Which one will give you most responsibility, and give you lots of opportunities to push your engineering skills? Try to focus on the transferrable skills that you'll gain from each (team working, leadership, communication, organisational and problem solving skills to name a few)- and how in turn these will help your own professional development. Go for the placement that you feel will support you most, and give you access to projects in real time. If both of them seem pretty equal in these respects- then go for the project that appeals to you a bit more (from the sounds of things that could maybe be Smart Motorways?) as you're more likely to work better in an environment you're really passionate about and can get your teeth stuck in to! :^_^:

Sorry, I can't provide exact insight in to either of the placements you've been offered but thought I could try give you a few things to think about at least!

Take care,
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it... You have really helped me in the decision!

Quick Reply

Latest