The Student Room Group

epq civil engineering topic question

hi,
i have come down to 2 ideas for my epq, and i was hoping if someone could give me some guidance on which one to go for.
the first question that ive come up with is "to what extent would it be easy to design an earthquake proof bridge in a megacity" as i would like to study civil/structural engineering at uni i thought that this could be a good option as it will give me many things to talk about in interviews and also show that ive read around my subject. btw if anyone knows how to improve my question (or change it to help me get the best mark possible) i would love your feedback!!
my second option is "to what extent do black holes pose a risk to modern life on earth?" clearly related to space :smile: i find space fascinating so i thought that this is something that i would enjoy too. (i wouldn't go into it as a career though, i just enjoy reading about it and finding out what the world beyond our earth is like!!) i hope that someone will be able to give me some advise on what to do or how to imrove my questions!
thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by gabriela4
hi,
i have come down to 2 ideas for my epq, and i was hoping if someone could give me some guidance on which one to go for.
the first question that ive come up with is "to what extent would it be easy to design an earthquake proof bridge in a megacity" as i would like to study civil/structural engineering at uni i thought that this could be a good option as it will give me many things to talk about in interviews and also show that ive read around my subject. btw if anyone knows how to improve my question (or change it to help me get the best mark possible) i would love your feedback!!
my second option is "to what extent do black holes pose a risk to modern life on earth?" clearly related to space :smile: i find space fascinating so i thought that this is something that i would enjoy too. (i wouldn't go into it as a career though, i just enjoy reading about it and finding out what the world beyond our earth is like!!) i hope that someone will be able to give me some advise on what to do or how to imrove my questions!
thanks in advance :smile:

First of all, I am not studying the UK curriculum but rather the Austrian. I have to do a fairly similar research paper to the EPQ called the Vorwissenschaftliche Arbeit and am doing mine on neuromorphic engineering.

I definitely find the first idea a lot more interesting. Possibly since I am interested in materials science/civil engineering (even though I am going to apply to UK unis for electrical engineering and general engineering). I just find the second question as if it would possibly be answered by a recommended YouTube video and therefore not anything very amazing (but still fairly interesting).

I would reformulate the first question to "How can you design and build an earthquake proof bridge in a megacity?" because 'easy' is relative and therefore not that scientific. Also, I would recommend doing the first one since it would be a good thing to write about in uni applications and could possibly help you out in your future career.

It is your decision however. Both are very interesting however and I would give an article about both topics a read. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EngWave_22
First of all, I am not studying the UK curriculum but rather the Austrian. I have to do a fairly similar research paper to the EPQ called the Vorwissenschaftliche Arbeit and am doing mine on neuromorphic engineering.

I definitely find the first idea a lot more interesting. Possibly since I am interested in materials science/civil engineering (even though I am going to apply to UK unis for electrical engineering and general engineering). I just find the second question as if it would possibly be answered by a recommended YouTube video and therefore not anything very amazing (but still fairly interesting).

I would reformulate the first question to "How can you design and build an earthquake proof bridge in a megacity?" because 'easy' is relative and therefore not that scientific. Also, I would recommend doing the first one since it would be a good thing to write about in uni applications and could possibly help you out in your future career.

It is your decision however. Both are very interesting however and I would give an article about both topics a read. :smile:

Thank you so much! That was very helpful, definitely going to take that advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest