The Student Room Group

Help I need advice

adbai
(edited 2 years ago)
No, I don't think you have a good shot at getting in. But that has zero reflection on your application! All of these schools have sub-10% acceptance rates, all of which are lower for international students and much lower at UChicago and Brown if you are applying for need-based financial aid. NO ONE has a good shot at getting in. So if you want someone to tell you that they think you'll get in, unfortunately, no one can do that, simply based on their acceptance rates.

But definitely apply! That's all we can encourage you to do. I don't think you'd be completely wasting your time applying.

I will be honest, your GCSEs are definitely on the low side for these schools and your extracurriculars are on the light side (try and find/develop your existing ECs to have that one EC that is memorable and really stands out if you can - develop your spike). But of course, these schools also look at your predicted A-level grades which look like they'll be great, letters of recommendation, and your essays to determine whether you would be an academic and social fit for their school. And those are not things that people on TSR can determine. All you can do is apply, hope for the best, but also prepare for the worst by having backups, either in the US or in your home country.

One thing: definitely consider doing ED at Brown or UChicago as it will give you a slight application boost. SInce UChicago has EDII, you could ED at Brown and if you don't get in, EDII at UChicago. Definitely give it some good thought.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by violet2002
Ok so I am in Year 12 right now (I'm a girl). My dream colleges are Harvard, UChicago, and Brown. I'm worried about if I have a chance of getting in or not. When I was 12 I was in a massive earthquake and my older brother died, which traumatised me so much I basically failed Year 7, 8, 9, 10. I was a very gifted child and was also diagnosed with autism at age 15. Last year with GCSEs cancelled I got these grades: 8,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,6. I am currently studying Economics, Politics, History, and English Pre-U. My working grades are A*, A*, A, D2 (which is an A*). I have struggled with anxiety and depression for years on top of my autism but have been very resilient and have persevered despite these challenges. My extracurriculars include being Y12 chair of mental health and wellbeing society, member of the law and economics societies, as well as head of marketing for my young enterprise team. I have also volunteered as a camp counsellor at a sleepaway camp in Canada. Do you guys think I could get in?

You need to say all of what you just said in your application. The Admissions Team wants to get to know YOU, and to a certain extent they will compare you against other applicants, but they will also look at how rigorous your own work in school is compared to the rigor offered. They will also take into account your circumstances you just provided (which is why, if you want a chance, it's CRUCIAL you say this in your app). For the best chance of admission, look up Harvard, Uchicago and Brown essays. You've done extracurriculars? Do more. Make sure they make you happy. Keep working hard and then you can say, however it turns out, that you've tried your best.
Hard work gets rewarded, even at schools with low acceptancec rates.
Best of luck!
Original post by mrcatsam
You need to say all of what you just said in your application. The Admissions Team wants to get to know YOU, and to a certain extent they will compare you against other applicants, but they will also look at how rigorous your own work in school is compared to the rigor offered. They will also take into account your circumstances you just provided (which is why, if you want a chance, it's CRUCIAL you say this in your app). For the best chance of admission, look up Harvard, Uchicago and Brown essays. You've done extracurriculars? Do more. Make sure they make you happy. Keep working hard and then you can say, however it turns out, that you've tried your best.
Hard work gets rewarded, even at schools with low acceptancec rates.
Best of luck!

There is an additional information section, but I wouldn't put mental health issues in there (not sure if you were referring to that or just the earthquake).

Agree with the ECs advice; they are very very important. It's not about resume padding though - colleges will see that from a mile away. The most important thing for your ECs to show, in order, are:
- Impressive achievement
- Leadership
- Deep-commitment
If you're showing all of those at a high level, it doesn't matter how many ECs you have.
Here is a fantastic video on extracurriculars: https://youtu.be/X8wHBBEj7SU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending