The Student Room Group

Good Universities for MSc in Aerospace Engineering

I am currently applying for a master's in aerospace engineering in the UK and wanted to know of any good universities other than the well-known ones(Manchester, Southampton, Imperial, Cranfield). And also I want to know from the above four, how would you rank the universities from best to worst, factoring in academics, industrial reach, and career options post universities. Thank You
Original post by rockhopper231
I am currently applying for a master's in aerospace engineering in the UK and wanted to know of any good universities other than the well-known ones(Manchester, Southampton, Imperial, Cranfield). And also I want to know from the above four, how would you rank the universities from best to worst, factoring in academics, industrial reach, and career options post universities. Thank You

Hey rockhopper231!

I'm a PhD student at Cranfield and I also did my Masters here, both in SATM (School of Aerospace, Transport, and Manufacturing).
Have you looked at our blogs? They're mostly written by students so you can get an idea of what it's like to study here: https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/category/aerospace

Cranfield is unique in that we have our own airport and aeroplane, which is used as "flying laboratory". We also have lots of ties to industry, with plenty of visits to and from aerospace companies (lockdown pending, of course!). This means there's a lot of great networking opportunities which can be really helpful when looking for employment after graduation.
Of course we also have a dedicated careers service that runs regular employability training and can also help with things like writing a CV or prepping for an interview.

This year we're due to open DARTeC, which is a new centre for digital aviation research, so there's lots of exciting advances in our facilities and offerings: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/centres/digital-aviation-research-and-technology-centre

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know, about the course or life here in general?

Katherine
Student Ambassador
Reply 2
1= Imperial, Cranfield
3 Southampton
4 Manchester

Also look at Loughborough, Bath, Bristol, Sheffield
I wanted to know about career opportunities after getting my masters. Also I forgot to mention that I will be an international student so how does that factor in the job and application process

Original post by Cranfield University
Hey rockhopper231!

I'm a PhD student at Cranfield and I also did my Masters here, both in SATM (School of Aerospace, Transport, and Manufacturing).
Have you looked at our blogs? They're mostly written by students so you can get an idea of what it's like to study here: https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/category/aerospace

Cranfield is unique in that we have our own airport and aeroplane, which is used as "flying laboratory". We also have lots of ties to industry, with plenty of visits to and from aerospace companies (lockdown pending, of course!). This means there's a lot of great networking opportunities which can be really helpful when looking for employment after graduation.
Of course we also have a dedicated careers service that runs regular employability training and can also help with things like writing a CV or prepping for an interview.

This year we're due to open DARTeC, which is a new centre for digital aviation research, so there's lots of exciting advances in our facilities and offerings: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/centres/digital-aviation-research-and-technology-centre

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know, about the course or life here in general?

Katherine
Student Ambassador

I wanted
Original post by 161BMW
1= Imperial, Cranfield
3 Southampton
4 Manchester

Also look at Loughborough, Bath, Bristol, Sheffield

Agreed with this.

As OP is an international student they should consider fees as well and it's also important to consider what life at the uni will be like even if it's for a year. Imperial is going to come with a ~£10-15k premium overall compared to unis outside of London, and paying that much to experience London life is a debatable choice.

As for job prospects as an international student, there are a lot of companies in the UK aerospace industry who will happily sponsor international students for their visas, not to mention that you'll be able to access the PSW after graduating anyway, but some defence related positions will be out of bounds for you as an international student, particularly if you're from Russia/China/Pakistan/etc.
The thing is I am debating whether to join Cranfield or wait for manchester or Southampton. Also, I am from India and would eventually want to go into ESA or similar background, hence I am asking for info on the Universities there, and the prospects that I can get.

Quick Reply

Latest