The Student Room Group

Chem or Physics? - A Level Help

I have to choose my a-levels soon and I am stuck between going for Chem or Physics as my 3rd. I have a predicted grade of 7 in both of them and so I'm not to sure what to go for.

Is there anyone who can give me any advice to help me choose which Science I should go for.
Reply 1
I'd personally go for the one that you enjoy more and find easier..
Reply 2
What other 2 A Levels have you chosen?
I had the same choice and picked chemistry. It is hard but manageable, however the choice depends on what you want to do or what you are good at. If you are good at maths you will find physics easier as a lot of it is mixed with A level maths.
Original post by bbltzr2
I have to choose my a-levels soon and I am stuck between going for Chem or Physics as my 3rd. I have a predicted grade of 7 in both of them and so I'm not to sure what to go for.

Is there anyone who can give me any advice to help me choose which Science I should go for.

My own experience
Chemistry = easier to score in, a lot more to remember, quite a jump from GCSE (but some topics are similar)
Physics = more difficult to score in, less to remember but very difficult concepts, lots of mathematical manipulation

I would also suggest you think about which subject you enjoy more, and which subject you might need for a future career (ex. if you're doing medicine then Chemistry is very much recommended).

Also don't go on the basis of which you are likely to score higher in.
it will depend a bit on what else you are taking and what you want to do (chemistry would go better with biology but physics probably goes a bit better with maths) but they are both really well-respected a-levels and are super versatile so unless you have a specific career choice like medicine just go for the one you would prefer to spend hours studying for the next two years!! i'm starting college next year and doing chem and physics (as well as maths and fm) so whichever you choose you can always message me abt how it's going :smile:
Pick the one you’ll enjoy more. If you’re still not sure, you could do both and start with four a levels and then drop the one you don’t like later on
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest