The Student Room Group

is an embryologist a good career?

I've recently gained a significant interest in embryology and I'm looking to take biomedical science as a degree at uni as a step to pursue a career in clinical healthcare science (embryology)
I'm aware that after graduation I must apply for the very competitive STP but I'm also wary of the career prospects...

is applying to the STP worth the competitiveness?

and if so will I be able to find a job easily here in the UK?

or is there any other country with higher demand in embryologists should I still wish to pursue a career in the future?

and is biomed the best degree leading to this career?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pokoloco123
I've recently gained a significant interest in embryology and I'm looking to take biomedical science as a degree at uni as a step to pursue a career in clinical healthcare science (embryology)
I'm aware that after graduation I must apply for the very competitive STP but I'm also wary of the career prospects...

is applying to the STP worth the competitiveness?

and if so will I be able to find a job easily here in the UK?

or is there any other country with higher demand in embryologists should I still wish to pursue a career in the future?

and is biomed the best degree leading to this career?

As you suspected STP is fairly competitive, around 20 application per place. The STP would make your future application look better thus increase the chance of getting the job as clinical scientist. There are sufficient job opportunities available in NHS or outside NHS in UK.

Biomedical sciences is a good choice if you want to pursue this career because it provides a good academic insight as it consists of embryology, anatomy, developmental biology modules and stream available. Hence you can see if this career path is right for you. Furthermore, if this doesn't suit you anymore, a big course like biomedical sciences provide insight to other career paths thus you can change your career path without problem.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending