The Student Room Group

English Lit Coursework A Levels

Hey, im meant to be choosing my nea in 2 days (oh no) and all i can decide is possibly the theme of represtation of mental illness in literature. Would anyone know any good pre 1900 and post 1900 books that could work? So far ive thought about Crime and Punishment (1866) or Hunger (1890). Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Maybe 'The Yellow Wallpaper' for Pre-1900? Awfully short however...
Reply 2
thank you! i was thinking about it but my teacher told someone else in my class we'd have to do another book as well 😔
Swift's Gulliver's Travels (1726) - worthy of a mention as his decline through and after the 4 voyages is quite spectacular.
Reply 4
Original post by Charbarly2
Swift's Gulliver's Travels (1726) - worthy of a mention as his decline through and after the 4 voyages is quite spectacular.

thank you!! ill give that a read, would you happen to know any post 1900 books to got with it, dont worry if not :smile:
I would think a comparison of Defoe's optimism in Robinson Crusoe (1719) against the mental slide suffered by Gulliver would be a good start.

The obvious follow-on post-1900 would be Huxley's educated Noble Savage in Brave New World, 1932 (definitely not the recent tv version 😉). Huxley's character stacks up easily (in terms of study) for comparisons with Crusoe.

There are novels that deal more directly with mental health but I think you could weave an interesting twist into these.
Reply 6
Original post by Charbarly2
I would think a comparison of Defoe's optimism in Robinson Crusoe (1719) against the mental slide suffered by Gulliver would be a good start.

The obvious follow-on post-1900 would be Huxley's educated Noble Savage in Brave New World, 1932 (definitely not the recent tv version 😉). Huxley's character stacks up easily (in terms of study) for comparisons with Crusoe.

There are novels that deal more directly with mental health but I think you could weave an interesting twist into these.

wow thank you!! you're really saving my skin here 🤭 ill definitely look into it im just absolute horrible with making up my mind 😩 but thank you so so so much for your help, i wasnt expecring any replies at all!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending