The Student Room Group

what do you think is the most useless subject in general?

Scroll to see replies

Probably music or something, I feel like I wasted a lot of time in music when I didn't really care
Original post by linedpaper
Fitness... to get kids doing at least some form of activity at a scheduled time, there are kids who will do nothing.
PE builds basic fitness skills and levels, and can improve teamwork and leadership skills.

If you’re fat less than a hour of exercise a week won’t do anything for you though. It’s a pointless timetable slot or at least should be made so you can choose to opt in or opt out if you want to invest in other subjects
Original post by artful_lounger
My impression has always been that for "general" business/management positions they don't really expect any prior academic knowledge; it's only in more specific areas (e.g. accounts, HR management) which they seemed to look for particular prior background. At least, from the first degree; for higher management positions my understanding is an MBA is usually necessary, but that doesn't require or assume a business background anyway.

What is a "general" position though? I'm not sure if that is an accurate term for any of the positions that an organisation might specifically want a graduate for.

While I could see that a business degree might give applicants some skills that employers are looking for by actively including them (e.g. project management knowledge by having a module on project management with an assignment on managing a hypothetical project) that doesn't seem to suggest that those doing other degrees couldn't gain those same skills in their academic or non-academic endeavours. I would've thought that those who had that same experience would be equivalent in the eyes of employers; maybe this assumption is wrong.

Some employers place a lot of value on some of those skills being included to at least some level as part of the degree. And what you're saying could apply equally to technical roles. If a company wants someone with a degree that covers some of the relevant technical skills for, say, an engineering role, it doesn't seem implausible that they might also want someone with some prior academic knowledge in, say, supply chains to work in their procurement and supply chains graduate positions.
Original post by Smeraldettoi
If you’re fat less than a hour of exercise a week won’t do anything for you though. It’s a pointless timetable slot or at least should be made so you can choose to opt in or opt out if you want to invest in other subjects

Even 10 minutes of moving about is good for you. It's far better than doing nothing. In my school we had 2 PE slots a week.
Investing in other subjects should not come before physical fitness.
The vast majority of those who call for PE to be stopped in schools are those who do not enjoy PE. This should be tackled to ensure there is more enjoyment but it should most definitely not be eradicated.

https://www.chestercollege.org/blog/10-reasons-why-physical-education-is-so-important-in-schools/
Even 10 minutes of moving about is good for you. It's far better than doing nothing. In my school we had 2 PE slots a week.
Investing in other subjects should not come before physical fitness.
The vast majority of those who call for PE to be stopped in schools are those who do not enjoy PE. This should be tackled to ensure there is more enjoyment but it should most definitely not be eradicated.

https://www.chestercollege.org/blog/10-reasons-why-physical-education-is-so-important-in-schools/

I don’t understand how you can think PE is important when we have vast swathes of people who are unable to pass basic (GCSE) maths and English? Employers care more about the latter than whether you can do x amount of push ups
Reply 25
I don’t understand how you can think PE is important when we have vast swathes of people who are unable to pass basic (GCSE) maths and English? Employers care more about the latter than whether you can do x amount of push ups

Its not about what employers want, its about keeping students healthy and promoting an active lifestyle. Far more important, imo, than GCSE maths and english.
Drama. It is a subject where confident kids can show off and the other kids just feel awkward. It doesn't help most people build confidence or help with public speaking. Other subjects are much better at developing these skills.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Foxehh
Its not about what employers want, its about keeping students healthy and promoting an active lifestyle. Far more important, imo, than GCSE maths and english.

I’m sure anybody who is unable to get a job due to them not passing maths and english would throughly disagree with this. It should be opt in imho.

PE isn't about doing X amounts of push ups.
And physical fitness is unrelated to maths and english. It doesn't need to be eradicated from the curriculum because the teaching of those 2 core subjects does not amount to enough passing of the subjects.
PE does not need to be the scapegoat for pupils not passing the 2 core subjects, or part of your agenda because you dislike PE.
PE isn't about doing X amounts of push ups.
And physical fitness is unrelated to maths and english. It doesn't need to be eradicated from the curriculum because the teaching of those 2 core subjects does not amount to enough passing of the subjects.
PE does not need to be the scapegoat for pupils not passing the 2 core subjects, or part of your agenda because you dislike PE.

I just don’t see the point of it; those who like exercise will be doing it out of class anyway and those who don’t it won’t make any difference because no proper exercise is done in any case; most of it is aimless messing about
I just don’t see the point of it; those who like exercise will be doing it out of class anyway and those who don’t it won’t make any difference because no proper exercise is done in any case; most of it is aimless messing about

Then improve the teachers rather than get rid of the subject.
PE, Music, Drama, PSHE :rolleyes:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 32
PSHE or what ever name they refer to it as now a days.
Our substance misuse awareness lessons could have been more appropriately referred to as 'how to misuse substances lessons'.
Original post by Smack
What is a "general" position though? I'm not sure if that is an accurate term for any of the positions that an organisation might specifically want a graduate for.

Some employers place a lot of value on some of those skills being included to at least some level as part of the degree. And what you're saying could apply equally to technical roles. If a company wants someone with a degree that covers some of the relevant technical skills for, say, an engineering role, it doesn't seem implausible that they might also want someone with some prior academic knowledge in, say, supply chains to work in their procurement and supply chains graduate positions.

Fair point!
I’d say Modern languages like French or German I know a lot of people will disagree but if you want to learn a bit of a language you’ll probably seek it out yourself and TBF your likely only to need “Holiday *insert language here*” and there is always google translate and there are phrase books too. I don’t have a problem with learning another language I just don’t think people should be assessed on something they’ll use at most twice maybe three times a year.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I’d say Modern languages like French or German I know a lot of people will disagree but if you want to learn a bit of a language you’ll probably seek it out yourself and TBF your likely only to need “Holiday *insert language here*” and there is always google translate and there are phrase books too. I don’t have a problem with learning another language I just don’t think people should be assessed on something they’ll use at most twice maybe three times a year.

I also think the way they are taught is terrible. They should focus on topics you would actually use. When am I going to go to a country to talk about "environmental and social issues".
PE
Original post by iamthicccccc1405
PE

PE was the best!!

I think the languages (Spanish/French) was the worst, all I learnt was 'I went to the cinema with my friends, it was exciting' loll
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kitapizza28
PE was the best!!

I think the languages (Spanish/French) was the worst, all I learnt was 'I went to the cinema with my friends, it was exciting' loll

Well i'm lazy and I hate sports
(odd though cause i've done so many)
Original post by iamthicccccc1405
Well i'm lazy and I hate sports
(odd though cause i've done so many)

My form was so competitive, so PE was the best!
What sports do/did you play?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending