The Student Room Group

should i change my degree

I picked to do psychology at undergrad level but I feel like I made a mistake. I don’t necessarily want to do it further than undergrad and apparently this would make it useless. I have warwick and kcl as my firm and insurance so I’m wondering whether I should change my course and what I should change it to?

also, if i stick with psychology, would I be able to do internships in other sectors or would doing psychology disadvantage me with this.
Original post by samiaax
I picked to do psychology at undergrad level but I feel like I made a mistake. I don’t necessarily want to do it further than undergrad and apparently this would make it useless. I have warwick and kcl as my firm and insurance so I’m wondering whether I should change my course and what I should change it to?

also, if i stick with psychology, would I be able to do internships in other sectors or would doing psychology disadvantage me with this.

If you do stick at it, you could do a Post Grad in HRM and go into Human resources as an option.
Psychology is not a useless degree and you can apply for graduate schemes and any graduate job that doesn't specify a degree type as long as you meet the academic requirements. However, undergrads should be encouraged to get some work experience during their degree
Reply 3
Original post by samiaax

Don't think it's useless if you don't necessarily want a psychology career - lots of jobs just want you to have any degree and psychology is quite good in that you get taught a broad range of skills as the courses tend to have aspects of science, social science and statistics. The best thing to do would be to utilise the university careers service during your degree and find some internships to do during the holidays, so you graduate with a strong CV for applying for graduate jobs. You obviously wouldn't be able to do an internship in, say, advanced computer programming or engineering where you'd require specific skills from relevant degrees, but there are plenty of more generic internships out there and you wouldn't be limited to things directly related to psychology. If psychology is the thing you enjoy studying the most then do that for your degree - much better in terms of your future prospects to come out with a first or 2.1 in psychology than a low grade in a subject you thought would make you employable but don't really do well at or like.

Quick Reply

Latest