The Student Room Group

Help on final A-level subject??

Hello everyone, I need help choosing my final A-level subject , I know I want to take Business studies as I do it at GCSE and it is my best subject and I also know I want to take Sociology as it is a subject I'm very interested in.
I'm really stuck on my 3rd subject, I'm thinking either English Lit or psychology or possibly Geography but honestly I'm really not sure.
Any help is really appreciated.
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you have any idea of what sort of career you want?
Original post by User198786
Do you have any idea of what sort of career you want?

I either want to work in Human Resources for a business, or I would like a role in Education
Original post by Idk_Will
I either want to work in Human Resources for a business, or I would like a role in Education

Pick a subject that you enjoy then because you will do better. Good luck in your GCSEs as well
English lit is a better choice. You can then decide between psychology and sociology?
Actually, you can pick all 4 and then drop your 4th after 2 months when you’ve experienced them all
It makes everything much easier :smile:
Original post by User198786
Pick a subject that you enjoy then because you will do better. Good luck in your GCSEs as well

Thx
Original post by SparkleFace
English lit is a better choice. You can then decide between psychology and sociology?
Actually, you can pick all 4 and then drop your 4th after 2 months when you’ve experienced them all
It makes everything much easier :smile:

Would Geography be a good options as well, I'm pretty good at Geography and enjoy the subject??? I'm kinda worried about taking English Lit, I know its an incredibly hard subject and the workload is huge.
Would Geography be a good options as well, I'm pretty good at Geography and enjoy the subject??? I'm kinda worried about taking English Lit, I know its an incredibly hard subject and the workload is huge.

Yeah if you enjoy it :smile:
In geography you have to do 20% coursework top. I do it and it’s ok, I think it’s a bit boring and doesn’t have good resources because of my college. Otherwise my other friends at other colleges really enjoy it and also find it pretty easy.
It’s good to always check your subjects exam boards and have a look at past papers to see what you have to do for that subject and see whether there are enough resources for revision.
Overal every alevel subject has a lot of content :redface: even English lit.
Always pick subjects you enjoy and are pretty good at.
You can do all these 4 and drop one if it gets too much or you’re not enjoying one
Sociology business psychology and geography
Or you can replace one with English lit to get a taster and see if you want to keep it.
Do lots of research and you’ll be fine. Good luck :smile:
Original post by SparkleFace
Yeah if you enjoy it :smile:
In geography you have to do 20% coursework top. I do it and it’s ok, I think it’s a bit boring and doesn’t have good resources because of my college. Otherwise my other friends at other colleges really enjoy it and also find it pretty easy.
It’s good to always check your subjects exam boards and have a look at past papers to see what you have to do for that subject and see whether there are enough resources for revision.
Overal every alevel subject has a lot of content :redface: even English lit.
Always pick subjects you enjoy and are pretty good at.
You can do all these 4 and drop one if it gets too much or you’re not enjoying one
Sociology business psychology and geography
Or you can replace one with English lit to get a taster and see if you want to keep it.
Do lots of research and you’ll be fine. Good luck :smile:

thx for this :smile: I will consider starting off with 4 but I know for a fact if I do I will drop one, My sixth form is releasing option blocks in around may time, so I'm just hoping none of my options clash
Hello everyone, I need help choosing my final A-level subject , I know I want to take Business studies as I do it at GCSE and it is my best subject and I also know I want to take Sociology as it is a subject I'm very interested in.
I'm really stuck on my 3rd subject, I'm thinking either English Lit or psychology or possibly Geography but honestly I'm really not sure.
Any help is really appreciated.

Hi :smile:

If you are not sure what route you want to go down career wise, I would suggest picking the subject you enjoy the most! This will make it so much easier to engage with the course.

I did English Literature at A-Level and I really enjoyed it! However as you can imagine it is very reading and writing heavy, so bare that in mind.
I also took Psychology- which is now the subject I am doing for my degree! I really enjoyed Psychology at A-Level as it had so many different components and areas to it. For example, you get to participate in the reading and writing side, as well as experiments and statistics.

However I cannot speak for geography.

Like i said previously, it is so important to pick a subject that you genuinely enjoy :smile:

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!
Sian- UoP Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest