The Student Room Group

Newstead Wood Sixth Form

Has anyone applied to their sixth form for September? Is it your first choice? If you like, what are your predicted grades?

Does anyone go to the school and can tell us more about it?
yh i go there and you may hear internals say that its not good but honestly it is compared to most other schools. the environment is so chill and each person's experience differs, most people like it but others dont. one downside is that its really small in terms of the actual building, but otherwise its good
Reply 2
Original post by boomsicles48
yh i go there and you may hear internals say that its not good but honestly it is compared to most other schools. the environment is so chill and each person's experience differs, most people like it but others dont. one downside is that its really small in terms of the actual building, but otherwise its good

Thanks for this :smile: Do you have any experience with St Olave's / how it compares? Not in terms of grades but in general
np :smile:. the atmosphere/environment at newstead is more relaxed than olaves, and not to put u off olaves or anything but they've had serious claims of sexual harassment. olaves also has better facilities in terms of sports and i think music too, ns abt music. olaves also have a much stricter uniform and it has to be blue/black/grey but newstead is pretty relaxed. and olaves is closer to orpington high street and bus stops etc, but both are about the same distance from the station
Reply 4
Original post by LoveAmore
Has anyone applied to their sixth form for September? Is it your first choice? If you like, what are your predicted grades?

Does anyone go to the school and can tell us more about it?

im in sixth form and am an internal since year 7, although i've complained pretty much every day, it is a very supportive school for mental and academia, super friendly and welcoming students. uniform super chill can wear pretty much anything as long as you've got a blazer and lanyard with you. ask for help if you ever need, they will do their best to keep you happy. everyone says food is trash but its not awful imo. building has had some improvements but is slightly falling apart but isn't a concern as youre not there as a caretaker lol. olaves is defo much more pressure and strict,, some of my internal friends went for sixth form and although all the students are smart and grades are good there, environment is quite toxic as the boys can be harsh/rude. any other questions feel free to ask.
Reply 5
Original post by boomsicles48
np :smile:. the atmosphere/environment at newstead is more relaxed than olaves, and not to put u off olaves or anything but they've had serious claims of sexual harassment. olaves also has better facilities in terms of sports and i think music too, ns abt music. olaves also have a much stricter uniform and it has to be blue/black/grey but newstead is pretty relaxed. and olaves is closer to orpington high street and bus stops etc, but both are about the same distance from the station

Original post by Buevrim
im in sixth form and am an internal since year 7, although i've complained pretty much every day, it is a very supportive school for mental and academia, super friendly and welcoming students. uniform super chill can wear pretty much anything as long as you've got a blazer and lanyard with you. ask for help if you ever need, they will do their best to keep you happy. everyone says food is trash but its not awful imo. building has had some improvements but is slightly falling apart but isn't a concern as youre not there as a caretaker lol. olaves is defo much more pressure and strict,, some of my internal friends went for sixth form and although all the students are smart and grades are good there, environment is quite toxic as the boys can be harsh/rude. any other questions feel free to ask.

thank you both v much for this, I've accepted the offers for both so I guess I'll just decide on results day after attending both schools' inductions. One benefit of Newstead is that they have the exact subjects I want to do: Eng Lit, Philosophy/RS, Psychology and Politics. Do you guys know anything about these specific departments and their teaching standard?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
thank you both v much for this, I've accepted the offers for both so I guess I'll just decide on results day after attending both schools' inductions. One benefit of Newstead is that they have the exact subjects I want to do: Eng Lit, Philosophy/RS, Psychology and Politics. Do you guys know anything about these specific departments and their teaching standard?

english lit has great teachers, very passionate and very supportive. i got a 3 in my gcse mock and a 7 in the real thing thanks to my teacher. alevel teaching is good my friends do rs and psychology and they say teachers are decent

These are all/mostly essay subjects and newstead is wayy better for them and our eng dept is probably the best in the school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending