The Student Room Group

Sheffield A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Merriewoodcock
could any current med students answer a few Questions about Sheffield:
-whats Sheffield like to live in - do you like it? what is best and worst about it (aside from hills)?
-is there enough clinical placement. 10 half days in y1 doesn't sound like much although they make a point of saying that they do a lot of clinical placement early on
-what do you like best and least about the med school and uni as a whole? is there anything for you that makes/made it stand out compared to other med schools?

Hiya, I'm a first year sheff med student so I was in your place a year ago :smile:
1) honestly really like Sheffield, lots of major chain shops and little independent places to explore. Also lots of parks where you can meet up and most places are within walking distance, and the whole place feels very homely with lots of students about. honestly the main con is the hills especially if ur a cyclist lol
2) I'd say there's enough placements. Like emily said there's a 2 week hospital placement in January, you also have an afternoon of GP teaching every fortnight and a project September to march where in pairs you get assigned a volunteer patient to ask in depth questions which is really fun. also extracurricular opportunities to speak to doctors and stuff.
3) what made me choose Sheffield is the support they offer tbh, the whole med school generally feels really supportive & there's a sense of community which is important for a tough degree like medicine. Widening participation and disability/dyslexia/mental health support is also good in my experience, and they have lots of opportunities for financial support for students from certain backgrounds which is worth checking out.
I really hope this helps! :smile: and any other questions feel free to tag me (although I don't live in uni accom so no questions about that please haha) xx
has anyone recieved anything in the post from sheffield yet?
Reply 102
Original post by TheDemeaning

What like a physical letter? No I haven’t and tbh I wasn’t expecting anything either
Original post by TheDemeaning

Hi @TheDemeaning,

Based on current government guidance, staff at the university are working from home where possible and sending out communications electronically. This includes all admissions and student support staff, so you may not receive much in the post until restrictions are eased in the coming months.

If you have any specific questions about the university, feel free to reply to this post - myself and the other alumni who manage this account have all studied at Sheffield in the past few years. You can also email [email protected] for more specific enquiries and someone will get back to you :smile:

If you want to talk to current medicine students, you can do this via Sheffield's instant messaging platform Chat to Us

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics
Original post by Merriewoodcock
could any current med students answer a few Questions about Sheffield:
-whats Sheffield like to live in - do you like it? what is best and worst about it (aside from hills)?
-is there enough clinical placement. 10 half days in y1 doesn't sound like much although they make a point of saying that they do a lot of clinical placement early on
-what do you like best and least about the med school and uni as a whole? is there anything for you that makes/made it stand out compared to other med schools?

Hey! So I’m a first year med student at Sheffield and obviously this years been a bit different to normal so can only speak from my experience.
- I absolutely love Sheffield it’s definitely my fave city so far the med school is situated next to the royal Hallamshire hospital and is in a fab location! Sheffield itself has a good night life (west street!!) and the city centre is so nice , it’s got something for everyone. It’s so close to the peaks, so for weekends and breaks from uni work it’s so nice to just have a wander in the peaks. Also Bolehills is so nice for looking over the city. The hills are a nightmare hahaha and that’s probably the worst thing about it. I think that no matter where you end up living in Sheffield everything is still so close together so everything’s in walking distance if that makes sense
- Obviously this year clinical placement hasn’t happened for us, but usually you’d have something called a multi professional experience (MPE) in January which lasts 3 weeks and also a GP shadowing week. We got to do one day shadowing our GP which was really good! But hopefully you guys will get the whole MPE and GP experience I know it doesn’t seem like a lot (3/4 weeks) but first year is mainly just content. Then second year is much more clinical so I think the med school starts clinical skills more intensely in year 2 which is a lot earlier than other med schools.
-I really like that the med school is system based so we started with cardiovascular then respiratory etc so it makes sense where as some med schools don’t do that. Something that makes the med school stand out is deffo the dissection. So once a week you’ll have anatomy and it’s a human cadaver! Not many med schools offer this and it’s so good for learning anatomy! Definitely won’t get that experience elsewhere. They also give everyone Wednesday afternoons off timetable for sports/other activities. There’s a society called MedSoc that do events so you’ll have a medics ball and other stuff like that so that’s deffo worth joining! Then on alternating weeks you’ll have ILAs and GP so you get to work/learn in different ways!
Hope that’s helped a bit ! Let me know if you’ve got any more questions :smile:
Hi everyone! When will we have to do that health questionnaire?
Has anyone booked accommodations?
If yes, were there a lot of options like deluxe en-suite and studios?
Reply 107
What accommodation place is everyone applying to I’m not sure what’s a good place to live there thanks
Is anyone else not able to book accommodations? I've firmed Sheffield and have a muse account but the accommodation link keeps saying error. I also haven’t received any email from them since I firmed.
Original post by aishwaryajain
Is anyone else not able to book accommodations? I've firmed Sheffield and have a muse account but the accommodation link keeps saying error. I also haven’t received any email from them since I firmed.

I've had the same problem! I contacted the uni via the live chat function on the accomodation portal and they said that it takes up to around 72 hours for it to work after firming a choice, and the weekend can cause a delay in booking accommodation. If you still can't log in after around 72 hours I'd recommend emailing them or contacting them using the chat function on the accommodation portal.
Original post by fayebay45
I've had the same problem! I contacted the uni via the live chat function on the accomodation portal and they said that it takes up to around 72 hours for it to work after firming a choice, and the weekend can cause a delay in booking accommodation. If you still can't log in after around 72 hours I'd recommend emailing them or contacting them using the chat function on the accommodation portal.

Ah that’s good to know. I just firmed them yesterday so might have to wait a bit 😂
Thanks for helping :smile:
Original post by fayebay45

I firmed on Friday and it's letting me book accommodation now, there's a link which pops up on MUSE when it's all processed and you can book accommodation via that. If it still isn't working I'd just give it a few days since it probably takes some time for them to process :biggrin:
Original post by _lfc_annie_
I firmed on Friday and it's letting me book accommodation now, there's a link which pops up on MUSE when it's all processed and you can book accommodation via that. If it still isn't working I'd just give it a few days since it probably takes some time for them to process :biggrin:

Same, I can access the accommodations portal now but I don’t know which one I should book 😂
how long did it take after booking a room to get a confirmation email for you guys? still not got one and it’s been a few days:/
How are you all choosing your accommodation? I can't decide between Ranmoor and Endcliffe. I would probably prefer a quieter atmosphere but some people say there can be quieter blocks in Endcliffe too - maybe the blocks set back a bit?
Hi everyone!

For those of you with accommodation questions, I'd recommend attending our Accommodation at Sheffield virtual event tomorrow evening from 5-6pm.

You can find the link here - Sheffield Live: Accommodation at Sheffield, Wednesday 7th April 5-6pm.

Our friendly Accommodation team will be providing an overview of the student accommodation on offer at Sheffield, covering everything you need to know about our room types, costs, locations and amenities. The team will also provide guidance on the accommodation application process and give you a feel for what it’s like to join our student community.

I hope that helps!

- Danielle :smile:
Sheffield graduate
BA English and History 2019
MA Historical Research 2020
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi everyone!

For those of you with accommodation questions, I'd recommend attending our Accommodation at Sheffield virtual event tomorrow evening from 5-6pm.

You can find the link here - Sheffield Live: Accommodation at Sheffield, Wednesday 7th April 5-6pm.

Our friendly Accommodation team will be providing an overview of the student accommodation on offer at Sheffield, covering everything you need to know about our room types, costs, locations and amenities. The team will also provide guidance on the accommodation application process and give you a feel for what it’s like to join our student community.

I hope that helps!

Sheffield graduate
BA English and History 2019
MA Historical Research 2020

Thank you :smile:

Hi @aishwaryajain

Sorry to hear about the issues you have also been experiencing with the MUSE account. Here is a webpage with information on how to set up your MUSE account. There is also a webpage for those who are experiencing issues setting up their MUSE account, which may be helpful for you.

If you are still experiencing issues, you can contact the Accommodation Team via their email for prospective accommodation queries - [email protected]. I hope that helps, but please let me know if there's anything more I can do to help.

Sheffield graduate
BA English and History 2019, MA Historical Research 2020
I’ve reserved a room in Stanage flats in Endcliffe, has anyone else got a room in Stanage?
How do we do the DBS and health checks for medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending