The Student Room Group

anyone going to sixth with low grades

do you know anyone going to sixth form with low grades and is doing a level not btec. i know someone who got accepted into history physiology and biology with 3s,4s,5s and 1 6. please do tell me as this would really relieve my stress. if they were like a grade 2 behind but still got accepted because he shouldn't be given an offer for a level he needs 6 in English language 6 in history 6 in biliogy and 6 in maths and he's doing foundation with grade 3.
Original post by Lily09897
do you know anyone going to sixth form with low grades and is doing a level not btec. i know someone who got accepted into history physiology and biology with 3s,4s,5s and 1 6. please do tell me as this would really relieve my stress. if they were like a grade 2 behind but still got accepted because he shouldn't be given an offer for a level he needs 6 in English language 6 in history 6 in biliogy and 6 in maths and he's doing foundation with grade 3.

I know someone who failed all 3 sciences and got into sixth form. She had to retake one science as a condition though.
Reply 2
hey did she get into her a level desired courses.
hey did she get into her a level desired courses.

yes, she did- ended up taking sociology, psychology, and drama.
Reply 4
hey i wanna do economics business mats and economics. would they allow me in if i get a 4 in english language and 6 in maths where i needed 5 in english and 7 in maths. i told them i don't mind redoing it if i want to get into my desired courses.
hey i wanna do economics business mats and economics. would they allow me in if i get a 4 in english language and 6 in maths where i needed 5 in english and 7 in maths. i told them i don't mind redoing it if i want to get into my desired courses.

For economics (I take) you only need a 6 in maths and 6 in english (doesn't matter which one) in my sixth form. Have you asked them to see if they will accept english literature (if you are better at it)?
If you are taking maths, you will 100% need a 7, as many of my friends - some who have 8's and 9's - are really struggling with it. So you will probably need a 7 in maths if you want to take it at alevel.

Not sure about business, but I know some sixth forms let you in with 5 passes in GCSEs. So if you don't mind going to a different sixth form then you should be able to meet this requirement.

You could retake your subjects if you want to. Seeing from your subjects it seems as if you want to study business / economics in the future? You will 100% need to at least get a 6 in maths and english if you want to apply to good unis. Which is what I realised when selecting universities
Reply 6
Original post by abbbbbb.
For economics (I take) you only need a 6 in maths and 6 in english (doesn't matter which one) in my sixth form. Have you asked them to see if they will accept english literature (if you are better at it)?
If you are taking maths, you will 100% need a 7, as many of my friends - some who have 8's and 9's - are really struggling with it. So you will probably need a 7 in maths if you want to take it at alevel.

Not sure about business, but I know some sixth forms let you in with 5 passes in GCSEs. So if you don't mind going to a different sixth form then you should be able to meet this requirement.

You could retake your subjects if you want to. Seeing from your subjects it seems as if you want to study business / economics in the future? You will 100% need to at least get a 6 in maths and english if you want to apply to good unis. Which is what I realised when selecting universities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1nCRAL1_aQ&t=5s

that's my school that i go and watch the video from 3:20 to 3:45 then what's your opinion on whether i will get to my desired a levels. by the way i am in year 11 and this is my sixth form this was for last year 11 students so definitely this should be us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1nCRAL1_aQ&t=5s

that's my school that i go and watch the video from 3:20 to 3:45 then what's your opinion on whether i will get to my desired a levels. by the way i am in year 11 and this is my sixth form this was for last year 11 students so definitely this should be us.

Sounds as if, if you don't meet the entry requirements you might be allocated a different course. But I'm guessing that there are probably many other people who also didn't meet the entry requirements, so there could be extra spots available on the courses you want to do. So those who meet the offer conditions get in first, then those who miss it slightly get offered a place.

If I were you, I would call the sixth form and ask about your dilemma!

Have you considered other courses you like, just in case this is the scenario?
Reply 8
Sounds as if, if you don't meet the entry requirements you might be allocated a different course. But I'm guessing that there are probably many other people who also didn't meet the entry requirements, so there could be extra spots available on the courses you want to do. So those who meet the offer conditions get in first, then those who miss it slightly get offered a place.

If I were you, I would call the sixth form and ask about your dilemma!

Have you considered other courses you like, just in case this is the scenario?

i also spoke to him personally about this situation of and he said that while in assembly i didn't mention anything about grades and also he went on why he is the great teacher which is also the the person that you saw in the video. the black one also is head of sixth form economics and business teacher. i also said i won't mind redoing my gcse for the sake of my desired courses.
i also spoke to him personally about this situation of and he said that while in assembly i didn't mention anything about grades and also he went on why he is the great teacher which is also the the person that you saw in the video. the black one also is head of sixth form economics and business teacher. i also said i won't mind redoing my gcse for the sake of my desired courses.

maybe email them and just ask about grades. They might be willing to accept you if you do get lower grades but they may have conditions- i.e. retaking something. My sixth form said on results day, turn up anyways as they are most likely to accept you onto the course even if you don't meet the requirements.

I remember seeing before that you said that you could get a 6 in maths? Throughout the whole of year 11 I was also working at a 6, but in the real exam I got a 7 (took the exam in 2019). Ask your teachers to see whether they modified the grade boundaries, as this could mean you are actually working at a 7 now. Perhaps ask your english teacher too, as they could be undermarking you.

If you do want to go to uni and study something which is related to business/maths, you WILL need a minimum of a 6 or 7 in maths or english to get into a russel group university. I know many people this year who applied to uni and got rejected because they didn't meet the maths grade.
So would recommend retaking any gcses such as english or maths if you do want to go.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
maybe email them and just ask about grades. They might be willing to accept you if you do get lower grades but they may have conditions- i.e. retaking something. My sixth form said on results day, turn up anyways as they are most likely to accept you onto the course even if you don't meet the requirements.

I remember seeing before that you said that you could get a 6 in maths? Throughout the whole of year 11 I was also working at a 6, but in the real exam I got a 7 (took the exam in 2019). Ask your teachers to see whether they modified the grade boundaries, as this could mean you are actually working at a 7 now. Perhaps ask your english teacher too, as they could be undermarking you.

If you do want to go to uni and study something which is related to business/maths, you WILL need a minimum of a 6 or 7 in maths or english to get into a russel group university. I know many people this year who applied to uni and got rejected because they didn't meet the maths grade.
So would recommend retaking any gcses such as english or maths if you do want to go.

could they accept me and i defintely said that i will redo my english and maths at november. he know that i am ambitious by the way i applied to 20 sixth form just in case if one wil accept me with my desired a levels.
could they accept me and i defintely said that i will redo my english and maths at november. he know that i am ambitious by the way i applied to 20 sixth form just in case if one wil accept me with my desired a levels.

most likely! If they said that you are ambitious this shows that they really like you, and potentially want you at their sixth form. That is good that you applied to different sixth forms in case they didn't accept you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending