The Student Room Group

Advice on whether I should apply to the USA

I'm currently in year 11. I'm currently predicted 10 9s and an 8 at GCSE (the 8 is in French), received an A* in the HPQ (smaller version of the EPQ), and I'm hoping to study engineering at uni. I intend to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology at A level. I'm not sure if I would be able to make a competitive application to top US universities, or if it is best to focus on UK uni applications - my dream unis would be MIT, CalTech, Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton and Columbia. I was captain of a robotics team - we were national champions and were 15th at the world championships. I currently mentor younger students interested in STEM and have won a few other national engineering competitions. What are my chances for acceptance at the unis I mentioned, and what can I do to improve my prospects?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently in year 11. I'm currently predicted 10 9s and an 8 at GCSE (the 8 is in French), received an A* in the HPQ (smaller version of the EPQ), and I'm hoping to study engineering at uni. I intend to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology at A level. I'm not sure if I would be able to make a competitive application to top US universities, or if it is best to focus on UK uni applications - my dream unis would be MIT, CalTech, Berkeley, Stanford, Princeton and Columbia. I was captain of a robotics team - we were national champions and were 15th at the world championships. I currently mentor younger students interested in STEM and have won a few other national engineering competitions. What are my chances for acceptance at the unis I mentioned, and what can I do to improve my prospects?

Your grades are looking good, and your robotics is great! What kind of robotics did you do?

You can't really guarantee anything as an international student, especially with such low admissions rates at these colleges. In addition to your grades and ECs, you'll need great essays and letters of recommendation.

Just a heads up, Berkeley doesn't offer financial aid to international students, so you'll have to be able to either find an external scholarship or finance this yourself if you go there.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I did one year of VEX IQ, which was when we won nationals and went to worlds, then one year of EDR, where we qualified for the world championships but they were cancelled due to Covid. I may take part in it again next year, but it depends on my school workload.
Thanks for the reply. I did one year of VEX IQ, which was when we won nationals and went to worlds, then one year of EDR, where we qualified for the world championships but they were cancelled due to Covid. I may take part in it again next year, but it depends on my school workload.

Nice!!! I did VEX EDR too. It was my main EC that was on my US application. I haven't found many VEX people at my university though, it's mainly FRC and FTC haha.
Reply 4
Nice lol, I think I heard that someone from JWS got into Caltech, who might be you?? (I'm from QE)...if that was your main EC, that's awesome! I might have some hope left after all
Nice lol, I think I heard that someone from JWS got into Caltech, who might be you?? (I'm from QE)...if that was your main EC, that's awesome! I might have some hope left after all

Haha yeah it was. I was just checking out stuff from QE as I kinda guessed that was where you would be from (worlds qualifying teams last year from schools that also do IQ wouldn't have left many options). I don't think you'd qualify for the Sutton Trust US Programme, but you could check it out anyway. If not, the Fulbright Commission is a good resource for helping with applications. I'm also always open to giving any help and advice you need.
Reply 6
Amazing, thanks a lot! I'll check out those websites now
I would definitely try! Your grades and activities seem good so far. Letters of recommendation are really important, and the essay for US schools is very different. I’d recommend working on your extracurriculars a bit, or at least continue doing robotics. Engineering programs in the US are very very competitive, so you need to show them you’re really into the topic. Also consider looking at some of the top ranked but slightly less prestigious programs. There are several great engineering schools that aren’t Ivys. If you’re serious about the US, consider all your options.

Year 12 here whose also doing VEX EDR(though very badly) and going to apply to the USA 2021-22, I'd look at Harvey Mudd they have a VEX scholarship. I also can't believe u called @ry7xsfa out like that :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending