The Student Room Group

Crying because of physics

I chose a level physics for some reason Idek why I’m first year studying it and I constantly get Es it’s so so difficult any good revision tips or websites that go over topics in baby steps as my maths is just appalling
Reply 1
Ok, what specifically goes wrong in calculation questions? Do you make mistakes rearranging the equations?

Are you doing A-level maths?
Maybe your best option is to restart year 12 next year taking a different subject. It will take a year longer to get to university but thousands take that option every year when they realise that they have chosen the wrong option.
I don't take physics but I used to get incredibly frustrated with Maths to the point to where I wanted to cry as well. This might sound harsh but what is probably happening, speaking from experience, is that you basically don't understand the content because your fundamental understanding of the topics are weak, hence why you are struggling with the A level. I'll give an example with maths, if you don't understand the logic of how solving a quadratic works( setting to zero, factorizing, crosses x axis is solution) for example, you will struggle with basically the whole A level. This is what happened to me and why I struggled with maths in the beginning, my advice is to start from the basics really, even if you have to go back to gcse content. Alternatively, if you don't want to that you can just drop the subject and pick up a conceptually less difficult subject, this will result in finishing your a levels a bit later.
Reply 4
Original post by noyou1234
I don't take physics but I used to get incredibly frustrated with Maths to the point to where I wanted to cry as well. This might sound harsh but what is probably happening, speaking from experience, is that you basically don't understand the content because your fundamental understanding of the topics are weak, hence why you are struggling with the A level. I'll give an example with maths, if you don't understand the logic of how solving a quadratic works( setting to zero, factorizing, crosses x axis is solution) for example, you will struggle with basically the whole A level. This is what happened to me and why I struggled with maths in the beginning, my advice is to start from the basics really, even if you have to go back to gcse content. Alternatively, if you don't want to that you can just drop the subject and pick up a conceptually less difficult subject, this will result in finishing your a levels a bit later.

^ agreed get your foundation blocks solidified into your brain, otherwise physics a level is really hard!
I find with maths that practice is key, get hold of as many examples questions and past papers as you can and do them. Really work through the solutions for the questions you get wrong and focus on the maths you're struggling with. If there are questions you're struggling to work through yourself then see if your teacher or friends are willing to go over it with you. There are also some good videos and resources on youtube that go over maths problems, maybe try some of those and see if having it explained in a different way helps.

Go back to the fundamentals and get comfy with the basics if you need to first as well. A good grasp on stuff like algebra, notation and being comfortable rearranging equations can be super helpful, it's hard to build on top of a weak foundation if you're not too comfortable at that more basic level.
Hi, my physics also sucks when I was in grade 11. When my school delivered past papers to us and asked us to do them, I didn’t finish because I literally could not answer most of them. But finally my as grade for physics was an a, by practicing. Practice really helps. I don’t know where you would be take the exam (I’m at cie), but the pattern would be similar. Also, YouTube has a lot of great videos, just inputting the topic confuses you and you would get answers.
Reply 7
There is a free book by Stitz and Zeager which covers all precalculus material and has numerous examples but detailed solutions for every question:
https://www.stitz-zeager.com/

Do enough problems so that you understand the material, but don't try and answer every question - it may become redundant if the problems are all similar.

There is another free book called "Calculus made Easy" which may be helpful as well:
https://archive.org/details/calculusmadeeasy33283gut

Quick Reply

Latest