The Student Room Group

I can't focus when im trying to revise

I've got assessments coming up and I've barley revised partially bc i cba but also whenever i try to revise i get distracted. not by my phone ill literally be doing a paper and then think oooo i need to buy a milk frother (just happened LMAOO) or just something so dumb which i then cant get my mind off what do i dooo like no matter how much i try to focus and remove all distractions my mind will find a way. I've tried writing things down to get it out of my head, tried the Pomodoro technique i feel like my mind is on speed 24/7 (therapist said this could be due to my PTSD but idk)
Original post by 14t
I've got assessments coming up and I've barley revised partially bc i cba but also whenever i try to revise i get distracted. not by my phone ill literally be doing a paper and then think oooo i need to buy a milk frother (just happened LMAOO) or just something so dumb which i then cant get my mind off what do i dooo like no matter how much i try to focus and remove all distractions my mind will find a way. I've tried writing things down to get it out of my head, tried the Pomodoro technique i feel like my mind is on speed 24/7 (therapist said this could be due to my PTSD but idk)

Write down a list of things that distract you. Get rid of them temporarily for the day. Write down a specific list of things you need to get done today, these can be non-work related as well (e.g eat dinner etc.). Work towards each point on your list. lmk if this works! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by HowYaMean
Write down a list of things that distract you. Get rid of them temporarily for the day. Write down a specific list of things you need to get done today, these can be non-work related as well (e.g eat dinner etc.). Work towards each point on your list. lmk if this works! :smile:

thanks but like i said, ive already tried that. literally everything distracts me, i wont be looking at ANYTHING, just my work and ill start thinking about dinner, what I'm doing next week, a new tv show literally anything and everything
Reply 3
have u tried listening to music whilst revising

also u can try tell urself u'll reward yourself AFTER you get the work done, its takes a lot of discipline and good habits
(edited 3 years ago)
Have you set a timer?
e.g. you could set a 20 minute timer and work hard just for these 20 minutes and then a 10 minute timer as a break. As time goes on you can increase the working length and decrease the break length to try to slowly increase your attention span.
Original post by 14t
thanks but like i said, ive already tried that. literally everything distracts me, i wont be looking at ANYTHING, just my work and ill start thinking about dinner, what I'm doing next week, a new tv show literally anything and everything

Hmm seems like you have tried a couple of things. Its possible you may have an attention deficit disorder? ADD or ADHD. You said you have PTSD and your therapist thinks it could be this. Try to seek further help from your therapist to find out the cause. If its anxiety or something which causes your lapse in concentration then try mindful meditation. Other than that I'm sorry buddy. Hope things get better!
Original post by 14t

Hi :smile:

I hope your assessments go well! It's not dumb and it's been a tough year regardless so that doesn't help when trying to work. We have some tips that might help here: https://myport.port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs/blogs/studying-from-home

Otherwise, if you are really struggling maybe talk to a teacher or your head of school and they might be able to help you further. I know there are lots of different interventions etc that can be implemented so it might be worth giving it a go! :smile:

Hope this helps and good luck with your assessments :smile:
Sian- UoP Rep
Reply 7
Original post by 14t

I’m the same. I get distracted super easily and my attention span is awful. I really want to get on with the work and do it but I struggle :/
Reply 8
Original post by elladh9
I’m the same. I get distracted super easily and my attention span is awful. I really want to get on with the work and do it but I struggle :/

:frown: not looking forward to exams
Reply 9
Original post by 14t
:frown: not looking forward to exams

What year are you in?
Original post by 14t

Same and I don’t even have any (known) health conditions or anything...

Usually I embrace being distracted and unable to focus until the pressure builds up so much that I can eventually focus (one/two days before the exam which is enough for gcses, so far it’s been ok for a levels)
Original post by 14t

Hey @14t

Sorry to hear that you’re struggling :frown: I've tried to keep to the same routine that I've had pre-pandemic. Here's some tips for staying productive at home:

1- Plan a week in advance in your diary so you know what deadlines you've got coming up. I usually make small lists for each day too.
2- I try to get up earlier on my days off rather than later. I find going for a walk in the mornings helps as I’d usually walk the last 15 minutes of my commute to uni.
3- I do my uni work in my office so that other areas such as the living room and kitchen are non uni work spaces.
4- Reward yourself- after I finish my uni work, I take some time out at the end of the day to cook and watch some tv.
I try and leave my weekends 'study free' by getting most of my uni work finished during the week so that I'm spending less time on it at the weekend.
5- Make plans- I try and make plans for the weekend, like going out for walks in the surrounding areas and grabbing a takeaway coffee on the way. This means I have something to look forward to!

Have you spoken to your teacher about how you’re feeling? They'll be able to offer you support and guidance so it's worth getting in touch with them!

Good luck with your assessments :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by __Username
Same and I don’t even have any (known) health conditions or anything...

Usually I embrace being distracted and unable to focus until the pressure builds up so much that I can eventually focus (one/two days before the exam which is enough for gcses, so far it’s been ok for a levels)

That’s how I work too. Not great but I work better under pressure.

Quick Reply

Latest