The Student Room Group

Can you re do year 13?

Hi there
Obviously due to the pandemic it's been a nightmare with very disjointed education - and unless you're extremely motivated to work independently it's been difficult not having the structure of face to face lessons. My daughter is a year 13 and at the beginning of year 12 she was winning prizes and doing well predicted all As. Then along came covid. So in the whole of her 6th form which is 6 terms in total - she has only done 2 full terms and 2 partial terms. The first lockdown there was nothing- just emailed work which wasn't checked. The second lockdown there was online lessons. Now she is back at school again but straight into non stop exams and assessments for 2 months - literally an exam every day. Yet there has been no catch up on anything that was missed esp in the first lockdown. She has gone from A grade student to failing. She has been working hard but she missed so much and really needs that structure of face to face education to understand things properly (hard subjects of maths, chemistry, and computer science) In these recent assessments she is either failing or only just passing.
I am wondering is it possible to repeat year 13? How do you do this? Is it allowed? Or how do you resit if it's continuous assessment and not exams? Personally I think it would be better for her to redo the whole year - as even with resits there's a big chunk of education she missed. The school have been crap and despite asking there has been no catch up lessons offered whatsoever. All they seem to do is test them constantly but not offer any catch up lessons or even lessons - the A levels became a Do It Yourself course
Original post by domesticengineer
Hi there
Obviously due to the pandemic it's been a nightmare with very disjointed education - and unless you're extremely motivated to work independently it's been difficult not having the structure of face to face lessons. My daughter is a year 13 and at the beginning of year 12 she was winning prizes and doing well predicted all As. Then along came covid. So in the whole of her 6th form which is 6 terms in total - she has only done 2 full terms and 2 partial terms. The first lockdown there was nothing- just emailed work which wasn't checked. The second lockdown there was online lessons. Now she is back at school again but straight into non stop exams and assessments for 2 months - literally an exam every day. Yet there has been no catch up on anything that was missed esp in the first lockdown. She has gone from A grade student to failing. She has been working hard but she missed so much and really needs that structure of face to face education to understand things properly (hard subjects of maths, chemistry, and computer science) In these recent assessments she is either failing or only just passing.
I am wondering is it possible to repeat year 13? How do you do this? Is it allowed? Or how do you resit if it's continuous assessment and not exams? Personally I think it would be better for her to redo the whole year - as even with resits there's a big chunk of education she missed. The school have been crap and despite asking there has been no catch up lessons offered whatsoever. All they seem to do is test them constantly but not offer any catch up lessons or even lessons - the A levels became a Do It Yourself course

hi, you can resit year 13. If you email her sixth form, they can go from there. I'm resisting year 12 for similar Reasons x
You can just resit the year. She needs to speak to her college/sixth form and they will sort this for her. If she is under 19 then there won't be a cost for this (unless it is private).

I can understand your frustrations at this and it is not an ideal situation to find yourself in but it is worth considering her situation over the next year and what she is planning on doing after school. Is she planning on attending university? There is face to face teaching there but so much of the course is self-taught, particularly if you want a good grade. If she is going to attend university then, as well as trying to improve her grades over the next year, she may also want to focus time on finding that motivation and the skills needed to successfully self-study a lot of content if she wants to both improve and progress to university.
Original post by one_two_three
You can just resit the year. She needs to speak to her college/sixth form and they will sort this for her. If she is under 19 then there won't be a cost for this (unless it is private).

I can understand your frustrations at this and it is not an ideal situation to find yourself in but it is worth considering her situation over the next year and what she is planning on doing after school. Is she planning on attending university? There is face to face teaching there but so much of the course is self-taught, particularly if you want a good grade. If she is going to attend university then, as well as trying to improve her grades over the next year, she may also want to focus time on finding that motivation and the skills needed to successfully self-study a lot of content if she wants to both improve and progress to university.

Thanks - she was hoping for an apprenticeship but it hasn't worked out. She passed all the interviews - but not enough places! She also applied to uni - but I really can't see her coping with the way uni is at the moment. I think she'd be ok if there was some weekly face to face teaching but I'm reading that this year has been all online and some students only had 12-15 hours of face to face teaching in the whole academic year. So I honestly don't think she'd cope with being in a new city, not knowing anyone and just being alone in her room studying online. I can't see uni being back to normal in Septmeber so am happy to wait another year. So there's no rush here for uni and she's still only 17 (18 in the summer) so I think another year would be better for her. I've emailed a teacher today as from what she's saying to me she's failing everything and has got exams every single day for the next 2 months. Thanks for the reply

Quick Reply

Latest