The Student Room Group

AS-level resits - will my situation count as extenuating circumstances?

I'm looking to apply to Oxbridge (specifically towards Cambridge), but I'm really not confident about my AS grades. I've missed right about half the year, and I'm looking at somewhat of an AAAB-ABBB in my grades this year. Most of this is because of my clinical depression + getting prescribed drugs such as SSRIs and benzodiazepines (which messed up my sleep schedule a whole lot). A part of me thinks it's not that but being incredibly lazy instead, but that may be the self-esteem speaking. Anyways, I missed about half of the school year, and I'm thus looking to resit my AS-levels after center-assessed grades come out in autumn/winter this year at a different school. I've seen that Oxbridge does accept students that have been academically disadvantaged or have had their studies disrupted if they had "extenuating circumstances". Would my circumstances count as extenuating?
There's only one sure way of finding out and that will be to contact the university.
I will say that if you do officially apply for extenuating circumstances you will need supporting evidence- note/letter from a medical professional; a letter from a teacher would also help and this will need to cover the relevant dates.
(edited 3 years ago)
Information here : https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

Usually Universities will not respond to 'what if' queries in advance of an application and therefore you just have to apply and complete the form and hope for the best.
All extenuating circumstances "count". Whether the admissions tutors consider that they sufficiently explain your grades is a different question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending