The Student Room Group

Word count

My daughter is doing a access to HE course, she sat an exam today and went over the word counts by 15%. She is now worried she will get a fail for this exam! Does anyone know how much this will effect her grain for this exam?
Original post by Amanda3at35
My daughter is doing a access to HE course, she sat an exam today and went over the word counts by 15%. She is now worried she will get a fail for this exam! Does anyone know how much this will effect her grain for this exam?

When I did my Access exams, they didn't mind it going over the limit too much.

The reason why they put it in there was to ensure the she doesn't reproduce War and Peace for a question that is expecting a 50 word answer. She won't have the time to have done that anyway. Having said that, the word count is a good gauge to how many marks are allocated to the question, and how much content they are expecting from her.

I'd start worrying when she hits the +100% or +200% mark. Even then, she won't fail the exam as much as losing a few marks.

It's best to check with the tutor to be sure.
Original post by Amanda3at35

@Amanda3at35
Hello! I teach on an Access to HE program so know a little about this. It does depend what is stipulated on the assignment brief that she should have a copy of.

Typically most Access to HE programs do not have exams as such, but they might have time constrained assignments. Typically on my assignment briefs there is a 2,500 word count, with the option to go 10% above or below. On my time constrained assignments in class there is no word count just a time limit of 2 hours. The nature of assignment briefs is agreed with the awarding body and refined within the center

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending