The Student Room Group

french

I am so confused. Why is the words in bold like that in the sentence. Like why is it written like that. I know the ones in the bracket are not in the right form

1. Le <binge drinking> peut finir de façon tragique (finir)
2. La consommation régulière d’alcool entraîne des conséquences graves (régulier)
3. Une étude française, qui vient d'être publiée décrit comment l’alcool abîme le cerveau (décrire)
4. De plus en plus en jeunes souffrent de troubles de la mémoire (souffrir)
5. Les chercheurs anglais sont allés plus loin (aller)
6. Selon eux, le <binge drinking> favorise une nette évolution vers d’autres addiction (net)
7. Récemment, la mairie de paris a pris l'initiative (prendre)
8. On veut capter l’attention des jeunes en diffusant une nouvelle campagne la télé (diffuser)
9. Ce spot publicitaire en forme de dessin animé montrera les nombreuses conséquences nocives de l’alcool (nocif)
10. On y parlera des problèmes de santé auxquelles les jeunes feront (faire)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by zarahh09
I am so confused. Why is the words in bold like that in the sentence. Like why is it written like that. I know the ones in the bracket are not in the right form

2. La consommation régulière d’alcool entraîne des conséquences graves (régulier)
3. Une étude française, qui vient d'être publiée décrit comment l’alcool abîme le cerveau (décrire)
6. Selon eux, le <binge drinking> favorise une nette évolution vers d’autres addiction (net)
8. On veut capter l’attention des jeunes en diffusant une nouvelle campagne la télé (diffuser)
9. Ce spot publicitaire en forme de dessin animé montrera les nombreuses conséquences nocives de l’alcool (nocif)

I think it's the correct form of the verb that fits in the sentence, and the brackets are the infinitive ( the basic form of the verb. To ....... To dance. To be )
Reply 2

What you have posted is actually the answered version of part of an AQA question paper in French.

When the question was printed for the exam, the places where the words in bold are now were actually blanks, inviting the student to use the correct form of the word in brackets to complete the sentence correctly.

https://pastpapers.co/aqa/A-Level/French-2650/AQA-FREN1-QP-JUN12.PDF
Reply 3
Original post by Kerzen
What you have posted is actually the answered version of part of an AQA question paper in French.

When the question was printed for the exam, the places where the words in bold are now were actually blanks, inviting the student to use the correct form of the word in brackets to complete the sentence correctly.

https://pastpapers.co/aqa/A-Level/French-2650/AQA-FREN1-QP-JUN12.PDF

I want to know why the words written in bold are like that - the form of verb its written in
Reply 4
Original post by CatInTheCorner
I think it's the correct form of the verb that fits in the sentence, and the brackets are the infinitive ( the basic form of the verb. To ....... To dance. To be )

I know they are right but I want to know why the words written in bold are like that - the form of verb its written in
I know they are right but I want to know why the words written in bold are like that - the form of verb its written in

because the question asked you to find the correct form of the verb, and since this is the answer sheet, the answers to what they asked you ( the correct form ) is written in bold. Are you asking why those forms are the correct form of the verb? It's because they've been conjugated, since the verb changes for the person you use it for.
Reply 6
I want to know why the words written in bold are like that - the form of verb its written in

It's a sheet given out, probably by a teacher, showing the correct answer to each sentence.
Reply 7
Original post by CatInTheCorner
because the question asked you to find the correct form of the verb, and since this is the answer sheet, the answers to what they asked you ( the correct form ) is written in bold. Are you asking why those forms are the correct form of the verb? It's because they've been conjugated, since the verb changes for the person you use it for.

yes, i am not quiet sure on why each of them are in that form in that sentence. Could explain to me why pleaseeee
Reply 8
Original post by Kerzen
It's a sheet given out, probably by a teacher, showing the correct answer to each sentence.

your right. I want to be able to understand it, so i want to know why each of them are conjugated/written in that form
Reply 9
your right. I want to be able to understand it, so i want to know why each of them are conjugated/written in that form

Which level of French are you doing currently?
Reply 10
Original post by Kerzen
Which level of French are you doing currently?

a level
I missed a lot of lessons due to some reasons and we didnt learn much at GCSE
Reply 11
a level
I missed a lot of lessons due to some reasons and we didnt learn much at GCSE

Are you in your first year of the A Level or the second?
Reply 12
Original post by Kerzen
Are you in your first year of the A Level or the second?

first

1. always an infinitive after pouvoir (peut)
2. consommation is feminine so it has to be réguilière, the feminine form of régulier
3. 'une étude' is a singular noun so décire is conjugated for that form, making 'décrit'
4. jeunes is a plural noun so souffrir is conjugated to 'souffrent'
5. 'cheurcheurs anglais' is masculine plural so that's how aller has to be conjugated as a past participle in the perfect tense
6. évolution is feminine so net has to agree, making nette
7. the sentence is in the past tense so the past participle of prendre (pris) is used
8. it's the gerund (present participle) form so diffuser becomes diffusant
9. conséquences is feminine plural so nocif becomes nocives
10. 'jeunes' is equivalent of 'ils' so that's how faire is conjugated in the future tense, making feront

not sure if that's what you were asking for but hope it's helpful :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by bluemoon03
1. always an infinitive after pouvoir (peut)
2. consommation is feminine so it has to be réguilière, the feminine form of régulier
3. 'une étude' is a singular noun so décire is conjugated for that form, making 'décrit'
4. jeunes is a plural noun so souffrir is conjugated to 'souffrent'
5. 'cheurcheurs anglais' is masculine plural so that's how aller has to be conjugated as a past participle in the perfect tense
6. évolution is feminine so net has to agree, making nette
7. the sentence is in the past tense so the past participle of prendre (pris) is used
8. it's the gerund (present participle) form so diffuser becomes diffusant
9. conséquences is feminine plural so nocif becomes nocives
10. 'jeunes' is equivalent of 'ils' so that's how faire is conjugated in the future tense, making feront

not sure if that's what you were asking for but hope it's helpful :smile:

no this is what i was asking for so it makes sense to me
thankyouuuuuuuuu so muchhhh. I can't thank you enough :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
no this is what i was asking for so it makes sense to me
thankyouuuuuuuuu so muchhhh. I can't thank you enough :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

pas de problème :smile:
1. Le <binge drinking> peut finir de façon tragique (finir) - finir is in the infinitive because it's the second verb in the phrase after 'peut'
2. La consommation régulière d’alcool entraîne des conséquences graves (régulier) Adjective in the fem form following 'la consommation'
3. Une étude française, qui vient d'être publiée décrit comment l’alcool abîme le cerveau (décrire) (3rd person singular of the verb because it's the study you're referring to)
4. De plus en plus en jeunes souffrent de troubles de la mémoire (souffrir) 3rd person plural
5. Les chercheurs anglais sont allés plus loin (aller) passive plural - etre + alle (sorry - I can't put accents on using my keyboard)
6. Selon eux, le <binge drinking> favorise une nette évolution vers d’autres addiction (net) - fem form of the adjective
7. Récemment, la mairie de paris a pris l'initiative (prendre) pris = perfect form of prendre
8. On veut capter l’attention des jeunes en diffusant une nouvelle campagne la télé (diffuser) = en diffusant, present participle
9. Ce spot publicitaire en forme de dessin animé montrera les nombreuses conséquences nocives de l’alcool (nocif) fem plural adjective
10. On y parlera des problèmes de santé auxquelles les jeunes feront (faire) = 3rd person plural simple future
Reply 17
first

What will probably help you most is if you copy and paste the sentences and then say underneath why you think what is in the blank is in that form.
Reply 18
I am a bit worried that you found these sentences so difficult as a first year A Level student.

I'm not sure what you have in the way of French grammar books, but I think that you should get one, this one might suit you:

https://www.routledge.com/French-Grammar-and-Usage/Hawkins-Towell/p/book/9781138851108

I've bought most of my language books from Grant and Cutler, you might find their catalogue interesting.

https://www.grantandcutler.com/section/F

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending