The Student Room Group

Law (& French Law) Personal Statement

Hey all! I'm a Canadian grade 12 student struggling with the UK personal statement. I'm planning on applying to Oxford for Law w/ French Law, Edinburgh for Law w/ French and Law w/ Politics, then LSE and King's for straight law. Where I live our personal statements are set up VERY differently and they're specific to the school. I'm pretty concerned about what to include. My number one choice is the course at Oxford, so should I tailor my statement to specifically that?
I'm not having any trouble with LNAT prep, I'm taking my DELF B2 this summer, and my grades are up to par for all the schools but this personal statement is stressing me out so badly! Any advice is helpful!
Original post by s.imonetta
Hey all! I'm a Canadian grade 12 student struggling with the UK personal statement. I'm planning on applying to Oxford for Law w/ French Law, Edinburgh for Law w/ French and Law w/ Politics, then LSE and King's for straight law. Where I live our personal statements are set up VERY differently and they're specific to the school. I'm pretty concerned about what to include. My number one choice is the course at Oxford, so should I tailor my statement to specifically that?
I'm not having any trouble with LNAT prep, I'm taking my DELF B2 this summer, and my grades are up to par for all the schools but this personal statement is stressing me out so badly! Any advice is helpful!

No you shouldn't tailor your PS specifically towards Oxford making it obvious you are doing so or you are more likely to get rejected from your other choices. Your PS should be about your reasons for wanting to study that particular subject, and why you are a strong candidate.

@Oxford Mum may be able to help later with some advice specifically geared towards applying to Oxford
Original post by s.imonetta
My number one choice is the course at Oxford, so should I tailor my statement to specifically that?

Yes.
It has to be totally focussed on 'academics' - why you want to do Law (as an intellectual / academic subject), and examples of your mental ability, interest in learning, competitiveness and mental challenges met. You will find lots of good videos from Oxford Colleges on YouTube about this - take their advice.
Both pieces of advice are great. I have nothing further to add.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending