The Student Room Group

applying to more than one course

this is probably a really dumb question but if i apply to two or three courses at one uni would that boost my chances of getting into that uni or would it put them off giving me an offer
Thank you!!!
Original post by fefhghjhbdsxcc
this is probably a really dumb question but if i apply to two or three courses at one uni would that boost my chances of getting into that uni or would it put them off giving me an offer

hmm .. it might be hard to write a personal statement that matches all the courses especially if they are all quite different?
Generally no since either a) they are completely different courses and your personal statement is unlikely to be sufficiently focused for any one of them as a result (or only relevant to one of them) or b) they are functionally variations of the same course by the same department (e.g. BEng and MEng versions of a course) in which case it's not uncommon for them to consider applicants to both versions of the course as part of a cohort/gathered field, and also not uncommon for unis to make an alternative offer for one rather than the other if your meet the requirements for one and not the other or similar.

So in almost every case it's not going to "increase" your chances of getting into that uni, and in some cases may actually make it harder.

Moreover, you should not be thinking of things in terms of applying to a university - you should be thinking in terms of applying to a course at a university. If you wouldn't be happy doing that course at another uni then you should probably consider whether you actually want to do that course at all.
Reply 4
PS that are trying to cover different courses/subjects are usually muddled and simply don't work.
They make it obvious that you are not clear on what you want to study or why, and can often result in rejections from both courses.

Either work out what you do actually want to study in your own head - take a gap year if necessary - OR email the Unis and ask if you can submit a different PS directly to them. Some will let you, some wont.
Original post by McGinger
PS that are trying to cover different courses/subjects are usually muddled and simply don't work.
They make it obvious that you are not clear on what you want to study or why, and can often result in rejections from both courses.

Either work out what you do actually want to study in your own head - take a gap year if necessary - OR email the Unis and ask if you can submit a different PS directly to them. Some will let you, some

I was just wondering that since I wanted to apply for Law with french as well as Law with politics at one uni although all my other choices are law with politics and I wrote quite a representative ps but if you said that it makes me look like i’m unclear on what I wanted to do I’ll only apply to one thanks !
Reply 6
Original post by fefhghjhbdsxcc
I was just wondering that since I wanted to apply for Law with french as well as Law with politics at one uni

Then just email or phone that Uni and ask for their advice - ie do you need to mention 'French' at all?

What you dont want to do is try and incorporate 'French' for one choice and thereby mess up your chances for all the other choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending